Interviewing a church

My family and I are looking for a good church and we do have plans to meet with a pastor of a church we are interested in, what are some questions you would ask the pastor about him the church or whatever?? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• What is the mission statement of the church? that will give you an idea of what their purpose is. For example, our church's mission statement is, "To lead people into a growing relationship with their Lord and Saviour".

I'd also ask about the demographics of the membership...will there be opportunities for you and your family to make friends? Join study groups?

Does the belief system of the pastor mesh with your own???
    Anonymous

• That depends on what you are looking for in a church. Personally, I've never heard of interviewing a Pastor to see if I'd like his church. I would just go on a Sunday and see what it's like. I like the feeling of being welcome by total strangers, peace, comfort and that I'm actually learning something. I also like the fact that my Pastor has a sense of humor about himself and can make us laugh during the service. I couldn't stand being bored during church when I was growing up, it made me not want to go. Here is a link to find a Calvary in your area. They are a non-denominational church and they preach the Word of God, nothing more, nothing less. It's a great church, it may be worth a shot.

http://www4.calvarychapel.com/find_a_church.cfm
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 7:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'm interviewing because we've heard a lot of crazy ideas from some churches I don't want to donate my time and go regularly IF the church has some crazy non biblical ideas and traditions. Its like reading a contract before signing in a way.
    Anonymous

• i think its great that you are so interested in a particular church to interview it and find out what they really believe. you might be interested to know its stances on certain social issues(abortion,gay marriage,capital punishment,world/community outreach, etc). there may be certain things you agree with, and some you don't, but that is what you are curious about. you wouldn't just go to a car lot, see a pretty car and buy it without a testdrive, or finding out what it has to offer over another car, right? inquire about the bible studies/classes/social-fellowship groups available to each of your family members.find out how the define salvation,how do they interpret the scriptures,the trinity, etc. what sacrements(baptism,communion,etc) do they perform and expect members to oblige themselves to.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We did that and we got lied to. As you ask your questions use your eyes. If you ask him what he believes about women wearing pants and he leans around his desk to see what your wearing he just might be a lier. I would ask about salvation, the clothing, what do they have for kids, missions, what ever is important to you and your family.

Gramy6

Answer by Gramy6 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• i think you should bring in prayer and let the spirit be your best guide. it's worked for us and we are ever so grateful that my father prayed and got an answer to which church his family should join. i think that even if you like what he says doesn't make it right to go there. he may just say things you want to hear or be vague about it. good luck though. have you thought of checking out the church of jesus christ of latter day saints. you must have one near you and you can check out their website @ lds.org lots of purpose of the church etc.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2008