Attitude comming from school?

my 4 yo is in the prek program at our school and recently started to go 4 days a week all day rather than just the 2 days. but i have noticed lately she is saying words like idiot and knuckle head and also argueing alot more and just has this horrible attitude. could she be picking this up from school? my sweet little girl isnt acting like a sweet little girl anymore. and what can i do to help reverse or stop this behavior that she might be picking up from kids at school?

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think asking her where she got those words is really all that important. You know where she picks them up. Of course it is at school. Kids don't live in a bubble so of course they are going to pick things up. I hate words like stupid or idiot because they are meant to be hurtful and degrading towards other people. I have a four year old son and this year I have noticed some words that make me cringe: "this is so dumb." I explained to my son that while other people use those words it hurt my feelings to hear those. I explain that I hurt for the person who is being called stupid, an idiot, or dumb. Even if he is saying an activity or toy is dumb...that it still hurts to hear it. We rehearse a better way to express our dislike. I can hope he uses those words that I prefer at school but you can't control what they do. I can teach and correct when he is with me. And I have faith his teachers do the same.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• have you asked her where she heard those words? my 4 year old has come home saying all kinds of things and she hears it at school. if its foul language, i tell her to tell the teacher next time so & so says that to her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• oh yeah , happens alot , my 2 do this from seeing other kids , only way for it not to happen is dont go to school.

letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Well of course they pick it up at school, that's where parenting comes in. Kids almost always have to try stuff out to find their boundaries, it's part of growing up and becomming confident and self sufficient. I never worried about what my kids "picked up" at school because I knew that they would try it at home and get punished for it. Problems solved
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I agree with the pp about asking where those words are coming from. The attitude could be a result of change or fatigue. She's getting twice as much input in a classroom setting and it could be affecting her. Good luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yeah happened with my dd last year too. I sat down with her and told her I didnt know where she was hearing the things she was, or where she got she could act in the way she was, but I was her mom, and she was not to treat me the same way she treated her friends or how she sees her friends acting. I told her if she continued I would take things away from her or stop sending her to school. After a couple weeks I didnt have as much of a problem with her. I also talked to the teacher about it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2011