Carpet question, don't even know where to start! What is in style?

Our entire house except for 1 room is hardwood floors, we are getting ready to purchase new carpet for out TV room, it seems like longer carpet is in style, but I am not sure, right now we have a kitchen type carpet in there, did you get staimaster, how much is good carpet? I have been doing research, and it seems you can get it cheap and super expensive, I don't really know what a decent quality should cost, also I have seen that some people choose not to have the place install the carpet, but hire an outside person to do it,, I usually know about stuff, but this is a purchase I have never made! Thanks!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 10:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I can't help you out much because we always rent and never have to buy carpet. But, I can tell you not to go cheap! I believe you will get what you pay for with carpet. The house we are in now, the owners put in this really cheap carpet and you can tell it is cheap. It wasn't installed well either. I would ask around your neighborhood or hubbys co-workers if there is any place in town they have used and had good experiance and go from there. Good luck! And YAY for new carpet! :)
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think something such as carpet should be more of your personal taste and likes then "in style". I like full lush carpet that you can crinkle your toes in and it seems the ones that leave tracks are more cushy than the trackless. I have heard that Stainmaster is good for the first few years but after a few cleanings the Stainmaster actually makes the dirt stick to the carpet more. I don't know how true that is. Our house had brand new builder quality carpet in it when we bought it, it is three years old and needs to be replaced badly.

A lot of people like Berber carpet. Berber is more expensive and if you have indoor pets you need to make sure their nails are stay trimmed. Their nails can get caught in it. Also Berber carpet will feed a fire so much faster than regular carpet. Something about the plastics that are used in the material. I have also noticed that Berber is harder to clean with steam vacs then regular carpet.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I don't like long carpet because it's so impractical. I like short, dense, good quality carpet that won't stain or show wear patterns.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011