Grammar and the modern world

Do you find it annoying that spelling words incorrectly has become the norm?

For example, "How R U?" or "Your L8," have become acceptable forms of communication. Words have been shortened to make texting easier, but who really needs to spend 5 hours per day text messaging everyone they've ever met?

How do you feel about this?

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 10:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Technology

• I think I love you!

My biggest beef is that it makes communication and relationships feel less valuable. People can't even take that little bit of extra time to spell entire words?! Really?!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:31 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• blowing kissesbowing down

This is for you, Snapdragon!  I understand text spelling when you're texting on a phone's numeric keypad, but otherwise, I see no reason. All it does is make you look like you don't know how to spell.

SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Drives me crazy. I'm not "up" on all of the acronyms and I hate having to try and figure out what the person means. Or, DOES it mean something or did the spell the word wrong. Yes, I do know what the ones in your example mean =)
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Agree!!!

" I understand text spelling when you're texting on a phone's numeric keypad, but otherwise, I see no reason. All it does is make you look like you don't know how to spell."-- also, agree!!

And even worse is when people TALK in TEXT accronyms....it makes them sound uneducated. And i refuse to carry on a conversation with someone who speaks that way, as it's annoying too.

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It drives me insane. It also bothers me to no end that public schools don't consider legible handwriting important, since we will all be typing anyway. That to me is just asinine. The language may be dynamic (which is what I think PP meant since "static" means unchanging) but text-speak is not language, it's incredibly lazy.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I can't stand it....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Not at all. The English language is static, not fixed. Always has been, always will be.

I doubt there are many people on this site that could successfully read 'The Cantebury Tales' by Chaucer because it's written in Olde English...just six hundred years ago. Then compare that to Shakespear's Middle English four hundred years ago, and that to Mary Percy Shelly's 'Frankenstien' from about a hundred years ago, and that to something by a current writer.

People responded to those changes the same way, and yet the changes continued. Same thing with this. No point in being bothered by it because it's going to go forward with or without me.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• nobody is perfect .Remember that family is first.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yeah...sorry. Early morning fuzzies. Maybe that was the static I was thinking of! LOL!

Text isn't a languge unto it's self, but it is very much becoming a part of the English language like it or not.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:35 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• this is an open text world of abbrevations.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2011