New business blues... Was this really a good idea?

I started a small business last October to help small businesses in my town. I do web design and custom design business tools for them. It's off to a slow start, only had one site to design so no real portfolio; I'm starting to wonder if I should keep it up or let it go before I invest more into it. My site is aiken2grow.com and the other site I designed is ndsop.org (for a church). I know there's lots of competition, do ya'll think I have a shot?

**Please be brutally honest if you have to, I need to know the truth. Thanks :)

MamiNlovinIt

Asked by MamiNlovinIt at 10:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• Not sure what your financial position is, or how much it costs to run your business .. but with any business it does take time to grow. It's only been since Oct, so not even 6 months yet ... unless it's sucking your finances, I would hang in there a bit longer and not give up on yourself and your dream. You may need to do a little something on the side to supplement your income if you need the money, but I wouldn't give up this quickly.

Maybe try to hit a few places, like non profit or city agencies & do some "volunteer" work, so you can build your portfolio ? Ask for referrals, maybe offer a referral bonus . And sign up for community organizations like Chamber of Commerce.. that's like free advertising.

It's easy to get discouraged .. but you can't let it control your life. Just focus on why you started the business and figure out what you need to get the word out there. Car magnets, biz cards, etc.

Good luck
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 11:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• The problem is probably not with your idea, but with your marketing. It takes most businesses up to two years before the ever make a profit.

It's hard for homebased businesses because they don't have a store front. I have to get out there and actively get business. Here are some things you should try: set up a Facebook and Twitter page and have your posts be about something a customer would value; join LinkedIn, join groups pretaining to both website design and your target customer; set up a Merchant Circle account; add your business to other directories; attend local networking events; do cold calling; do direct mail.

Keep a positive attitude and be persistant. Four months isn't nearly long enough to know whether a business will succeed or fail.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would say before you call it quits......try running a special of some kind and reach out to maybe some of the bigger businesses in your area, maybe even expand the area that you do business for. Check out the other rates offered for what you do and see if you're able to beat them. I have a candle business and there are TONS of other candles reps around me.....but I'm the only rep for the candles I sell and more and more people are learning about them and coming to me rather than the ones they used before. It's not impossible for you're business to grow! Just make sure you put a limit as to how much you're willing to put into it and stick with it. Good luck!

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Our church offsets costs of printing church directories by advertising members business in the directory. The members pay money and it all work s out for everyone, church offsets costs, members get more exposure and customers and can give more back :0)

Wish you the best. its a great business.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Without seeing your business plan, I do not know how you are marketing your business.
    Are you attending networking events, like local chamber of commerce meetings, National Association of Women Business Owners, etc.? Have you found a lead-sharing group in your area (if not, start one).

Good luck, and don't give up!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2011