Text messaging

When I go out for dinner with friends, I turn off my cell phone ringer, place it in my bag, and forget about it for the evening. It it's a real emergency, my husband knows how to contact me but I don't need to speak to anyone else while I am with my friends.

My friends, however, keep their phones on the table, and frequently check email, text someone and they speak to everyone who calls. These are not emergency situations, it's just finalizing plans for something else or just a chat session. One evening, looking around the table, I was the only person who was not on my phone talking to other people. It was ridiculous! Why bother leaving your house if you're only going to spend all night chatting on your phone???

What do you think?

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 10:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Entertainment

• I totally agree. this is one of my biggest peeves these days. I hate those damn phones!!! If i'm talking to someone and they beging to read/text, i'll just stop talking. Then i get "why didn't you finish what you were saying?", in which i reply (in a very irritated tone of voice) "well, you're obviously busy!", then in response i get "oh no, i can listen and text at the the same time!", in which i replied "maybe you can, but it's rude to me and i won't waste my time repeating myself or talking to someone who can't even pay me attention in a mutual conversation!".
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• thats is rude and hate it when my teenage daughter does it......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i agree with you. We usually keep our phones out or within reach because we all have children that we may need to get in touch with. For example, my DD was in the hospital for 2 months over the summer and then again for 3 weeks at Thanksgiving. So even now when I go out I keep my phone with me because I am not sure if she is going to get sick again and need to go back to the hospital. Another friend's DD calls everynight when she is going to bed and my friend always talks to her.

As far as just talking to someone for no reason, we don't usually do that. and for me I'm usually with all the people that would either text me or call me. I totally understand how that would bother you and if it were me I might say something to them.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I agree with you!!! I don't turn my phone off because I am on call 24/7 as a doula and lactation consultant and in case my husband needs to reach me, but I have different ringtones for my husband and my clients, so I don't even have to look at my phone to know if I need to answer it, or if I can ignore it. I turn the ringer down, so it isn't distracting but I can still hear it ringing from my bag.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• that's so true some people jet way to attached and addicted to there phone and i hate it my husband is addicted to his new phone, i don't have a cell i see no need for one except for emergencies

Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 10:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• One day my step-daughter kept texting every 30 seconds, it seemed, while we were on our way to dinner at restaurant after not seeing her for weeks. Her dad asked her why she couldn't wait until after dinner to answer her messages and she said because it was rude not to answer immediately. Sounds like a lot of people have this same mindset.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think it's rude. I don't even like when I'm sitting at home watching TV with my roommate when he whips out his phone! I can't stand it! And so many people my age do it (I'm 22)... I fear for our children!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Well I'd have to say I'm guilty of doing it sometimes when its not emergency but not when I'm hangin out and stuff or out with family.
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 11:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It doesn't bother me too much. I personally enjoy the convenience of everyone being able to get ahold of me whenever they want. I live in Ohio and my mom and my sisters live in TX, I have a son in the Army who is another state, a son who lives in TX and a son in college in PA and my other son is in OH but he used to also be in the Army and was stationed across the country in WA. My family are the only people who call me so, if I am out and they call I will talk to them because that's why I have a cell phone. I don't check FB or go online when I am out & I don't talk on the phone while interacting with waitstaff or check out clerks but I will always answer my phone no matter where I am. My husband is the same way...he only talks to our sons or to his brother in CA or family in NY and is always available to them. We don't go out with friends, just with each other and we don't mind if the other person is talking to family.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Just plain rude.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2011