I have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter who refuses to poop on the potty. She asks for a pull up when she has to poop which I reluctantly give her. I realize I am enabling her to do continue this pattern but she gets very upset when I suggest she try sitting on the potty. Do I just sit back and wait or force the issue and if so, what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My mom says my little brother did the same thing...
    If shes not comfortable going poop yet in the potty i wouldn't force her to.
    She will soon enough though I'm sure, We can't wear diapers forever!
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Both my dds did the same thing! I finally said no. They had a couple accidents and finally theyd held it for a couple days and ran to the toilet. Just be strong mama. Our pediatrician said some kids think their poop is a part of them and thats why they dont like doing it on the toilet bc they have to flush it and feel like theyre flushing a peice of their body. I laughed but I think it was possibly true.

Answer by gemgem at 7:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My daughter was trained for peepee by 2 1/2, even through the night. Poop was an entirely different story. She just refused or would cry her eyes out. No amount of pressure, rewards, taking things away worked. What turned her around? I started looking around in Feb for preschools to put her into for the following Sept. She fell in LOVE with this one school and wanted me to sign her up right then and there. She begged. The director of the school who was showing us around told my daughter she COULDN'T go there. They didn't take children in pullups. Well that was it. I swear her head almost spun full circle. She dragged me to get her underwear (we had tons) and never wore a pullup again!! find your daughter's wildest desire and make her think she can't do it or have it if she's in pullups. Then sit back and watch the fireworks! Good luck to you!! It'll happen.
    2minimees

Answer by 2minimees at 7:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My daughter had the same issue at 3 1/2 and now at 41/2 will go on her own poop and pee on the potty. She was ready in her time not when I thought she was ready. :) good luck.
    fieldwood

Answer by fieldwood at 9:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• let her use the pullup... make her clean her own poop...
    Anonymous

• I had this issue with my lil girl when she was 2 going on 3 (she had less then a week left of being 2) and we talked about being a big girl and going to school and after a while she just would walk in and sit down 'just in case' she would say - it also helps if you make them sit on the potty you can sit with them if you want and just talk with them while they 'practice' sitting and then at random race them to the potty so they know if they have to go they have to hurry and make it
    leapyear

Answer by leapyear at 12:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2008