When should I stop lactating?

I weaned my daughter almost a year ago. It took four months for me to stop producing milk through two painful bouts of mastitis (sp?) and a few rounds of antibiotics to get that taken care of. Recently I started lactating again, has this happened to anyone else?

jessmathews82

Asked by jessmathews82 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Gosh, no. My 3 year old weened himself in August of last year, and I think I was completely dry by the end of September.

It wounds really painful! So sorry!
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 11:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Everyone is different, but I have known a few women, including myslef, who continue to get periods of milk production and leaking for a yesr or two afterward. It is always worth a mention about it to your OB, though, because there are other reasons that the breast could leak.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Some people never stop lactating. I have a friend who will when she hears a baby cry.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• @ craftingmama- Me too! OMG! In the past 10 years I have never stopped lactating (not even while pregnant). My youngest is almost 4, and every time I hear a baby (infant) cry I start to let down.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Oh my gosh, that is isane!! I was really hoping that it was just a phase. So what do you do about it?? I certainly don't want to have to wear nursing pads forever.
    jessmathews82

Comment by jessmathews82 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• you may need to try binding until the engorgement goes down
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• NOBODYS IS THE SAME BEST ASK THE DOCTOR, IF YOU HAVE OTHER SITUATIONS.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2011