Rules & Toddlers?

Im trying to start rules bc my children are just not listen anymore.. Im still learning so I can use All the help i can get. I have a 2 year old lil girl and a 3 year old little boy. so can anyone help me with rules and disciplining them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're starting a bit late! Are you wanting to do time out? Spanking? Or what?
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Make a list of the house rules and then decide what the consequences will be when they break said rules and follow through. I would also state consequences for breaking said rules multiple times in a row as well. Good luck b/c You should have started with rules and consequences much earlier.

My DD knows what the rules are and what the consequences for breaking the rules are and she is 2 1/2. We have been disciplining ince she was about 9 mos old.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• your going to have alittle bit of a hard time diciplin and rules should be started very early in life 2 and 3 is way late, but what kids of dicipline are you wanting to start?
    Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 11:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Time out works great at our house you do one minute per year old they are so 2 minutes for the one and 3 for the other if they get out don't say anything just put them back and start time over once their done go calmly tell them why that was wrong and that you love them and send them on their way
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 11:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Better late then never.

My kids are killing me lol, not litterally but slowly and surely....

I am working on it now and it is horrible they don't listen, I thought I was a great mom until I realized my kids are not listening too me, they respect everyone and do for everyone else but mama does everything, not anymore. I think you made it just in time.

Do the list thing and follow through make it fun though make sure they clean there own toys.... Depending on the crime that would depend on the time. LOL< hitting is unexceptable, time out for hitting, tempertamtrums, where was cafe mom when my kids were born.... Good luck and don't give up. YOu can do it.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Be consistent and make sure you have developmentally appropriate expectations. Here's an article this gives some guidelines for appropriate discipline and guidance for yound children.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/famsci/fs468w.htm

Good luck!

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It is never too late. It might be harder with your 3 year old, but if you're ready to be consistent and firm, it's not too late.

the rules? Well those are going to depend on what's important to you and your family. Figure out what you're looking for and then make sure, as other posters have said, you have age appropriate expectations.

Discipline - have natural consequences that are also age appropriate. For example, if my 6 year old can't get off the Wii when I call her to get ready to leave the house for the day, then the natural consequence is she can't play the Wii the next day before school, or church or whatever it is we're doing in the morning.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2011