Do you drink alcohol?

I use to casually drink with friends or go out every now and then. I finally decided to NOT drink. Why do people act as though I am weird for my decision? I thought I made a good decision to not drink at all. I am setting a better example for my kids, I am setting a better example as a Christian, I am no longer causing damage to my body (like the liver and any other body parts that may be affected). I have close relatives that are alcoholics and I didnt want to put myself in that position. I feel like I am in high school with peer pressure all over again!!

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Misery loves company. A lot of people dont' like to drink on their own...so when friends decide not to...they don't know what to do with them now, because that's their only form of "a good time". I think your reasoning for stopping are commendable....most people don't ever realize/care how it's affecting themselves and those around them.
    Anonymous

• i do, on occasion. and find nothing wrong with having a beer, or a glass of wine with dinner, or whenever i wish. (of course, since i rarely drink, i never have any on hand...). setting a good example concerning 'drink' would be to use it with tolerance, and not for the practice of getting drunk and stupid. (now, that's the biblical standard i'm coming from.) if you have tendencies towards alcoholism, or cannot control yourself (discipline, also biblical!), or are in the presence of those who have tendencies to alcoholism, it is wise to abstain. (also biblical.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No I don't and yes people tend to think it's weird. Funny how being natural (we were not born drinking alcohol!) is weird to some people but I don't care what they think. It works for me. My adult children don't drink (their choice). I think of how much it costs to drink and would rather spend my money on other things!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No, I don't. I think, too, that you have made a good decision and I hope you won't worry about what others think of that decision. It's really none of their business!!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I like to have a nice glass of wine, I'm not a christian but I don't think I'm setting a bad example by having a glass. Everyone likes to do what they like to do. Just ignore the people who don't like that you don't drink or don't hang out with them anymore.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• not since 1996
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• no i dont drink anymore because i felt like i was turning into an alcoholic and dont wory what other people think your doing better for yourself not for them :)
    Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 12:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I drink occassionally but if I don't have a drink it does not matter either way.....

I love being soba.... :)
    Horray for you!!!!!

Stand up for what you believe in, no drinking is fine in my book. If they don't like it owell. You must do what is right for you....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I don't drink either and am often called a prude so I tell them I like to remember having a good time and I can have way more fun without alcohol cause I don't wake up sick. Good for you for making that choice
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I do every once in a while, but I can't say it's on my list of favorite social activities. I too have alcoholic family members and I don't want to be where they are, and like admckenzie said, I would rather spend money on other things.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2011