What is the best way to get my baby to stop using a pacifier?

My son is almost 10 months old, i had already been thinking that it wont be long before i should think about taking the pacifier away. Last night after dinner he was in his high chair , my husband looking over and he had stuffed the whole pacifier in his mouth and was gagging. so at the point we are so scared to give it to him. so i thought i would try taking it away cold turkey and he is miserable! normally goes down for naps and bed fine on his own in the crib, he screamed today for 30 min in the crib for nap and i moved him to the swing and he gave in after crying for another 20 min. , i feel like i am being mean, is it ok to be doing it this way? any suggestions would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did cold turkey too, it took a couple of days of getting used to and soothing. he hasn't had it since before seven months. at this point i wouldn't give it back to him bc you are essentially teaching him if he cries and has a fit he will get his way.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Nope you are not being mean and yes he is learning crying will get him what he wants. I told my daughter we were giving it too a new baby and she is too big for it and replaced it with a big girl cup, yes she cried and stuff but I didn't cave, everything is harder without the bobo... :)

Good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• He may need a larger pacifier in the short term. Limit its use though. Only bedtime or extreme soothing. It's easy to get in the habit of using it all the time.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 12:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I was luck mine threw theirs away. Get a bigger one and give it to him at bed time.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think you are doing great. Kids are resilient and at is definitely looking like a safety hazard for your little one. I've heard of one mom who cut the nipple off. My sis gave hers up by watching it go in the trash. My own little girl is only allowed to have it at nap and bedtime. Limiting it has helped with the control issues but she is older. I probably should have taken it away sooner but since she doesn't have it often I haven't bothered. Stick to your guns if you can. It will be better in the long run. At least he'll give it up before college. LOL
    JessBlogSchmog

Answer by JessBlogSchmog at 12:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• your doing fine i had to do it that way but now she sucks her thumb and has a blankie she drag around everywhere it seems like i'm washing that thing everyday. She still gets a bottle at bed time tho but she told me she was going to throw it away so if she does its gone but she will be up set when baby brother gets one.
    there_mommy

Answer by there_mommy at 6:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2011