If your teen daughter was pregnant, would you allow her to marry the teen father?

And if so would you allow them to live with you if they were both still in school?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 12:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• no way..
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• no i would not
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 12:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If if she were EIGHTEEN then yes she could marry but not before then, though I would hope they stayed together as a couple. They would not be living with me as a married couple as I feel like if they were responsible enough to handle marriage they should be responsible enough to handle it on their own.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would probably discourage a marriage until they were older. I think education is extremely important so I would hope my daughter would stay at home and that the boyfriend would be as involved as possible in his baby's life without living in the house.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 12:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My dd was 16 when she got pregnant. Her bf was out of hs. I did not allow her to marry him, quit school, live with him, or any of that. She said she hated me for it, now though she sees my point. I made her go to school, get her HS diploma, I did let her date her baby's dad (lol) but she had a curphew and rules whether she liked them or not. I understood I had no say so in her medical choices, but has every right and say on everything else.

Answer by gemgem at 12:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No I wouldnt. No one should get married just because they have a child IMO, they should love eachother, and with all the hormones and stress raging it's easier for a teen to believe life will be over without that other person. If at 18, they are out of school,and they want to get married then that is fine. But I am saying this as a mother to a 4yo. My mind might change if my teen ever goes through this situation.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i had a friend who was 15 years old and was pregnant. her dad finally agreed to let them go out of state to get married. the day she married him , it broke her dad's heart. he died that very day :( but he would be happy to know that her husband made her very happy even though they had turmoil for a few years. the child is now in college and they also have a daughter and the husband even got baptized which he had been atheist. I cannot say how i would handle a situation like that though because i do not know hopefully it never becomes a issue for me. but i know it can.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would advise them to wait until they are older.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would not let her get married. Entirely too young, and you don't need to be married in order to raise a child.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I will never consent for any of my minor children to marry. Pregnancy or not. Dependant on the circumstances, their partner (other parent of the child) would be welcome to live with us, that is assuming they decided not to terminate.
    All they have in the world is time, and if they were going to stay together they would do so regardless of marriage. Pregnancy is the absolute worst excuse to marry someone.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2011