Did parenthood bring you close to yr partner ?

Do you feel that your children brought you closer, or kept you further away from your partner ?

lillyblue111

Asked by lillyblue111 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Actually I think it has - but I think it's completely dependent upon the couple and their parenting styles. For me, there's something pretty sexy and amazing watching DH be a father. Watching this 6 foot sports-loving, kitchen-phobic, man get down on the floor and play dolls with his 6 year old daughter or to see him let her put barrettes in his hair because she wants to give him a make-over or to watch him patiently work with our 8 year old on the finer points of hitting a baseball or debate the merits of shaving down the pinewood derby car here and not there...well it gives me a new vantage point on how amazing a guy I married. We have similar parenting styles so we don't hit conflict over such things. We are both fairly laid back and relaxed so not getting to go out and do "couple' things isn't an issue. We find our time together when we can and make the most of it. But we're certainly more united than ever before.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes. It made me fall in love with a whole new part of him. I don't just love him as a husband and friend, but also for the amazing father that he is to our children.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It really made me see a softer side of him I never thought in a billion years he had! It brought back the new and exciting feelings you get on the first date :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• having kids doesn't seem to keep us close.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It did bring us together, during their childhood and after.

Answer by older at 1:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• no , not at all
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• nope
    spitfire06

Answer by spitfire06 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think at first and sometimes it pushed us away- we had a very difficult infant/toddler and we battled more together than the 11 years we were together before having our son.. now, I don't know - I think its a different type of relationship we have as parents together and still our only arguments are when ti comes to Max and how to raise/discipline him.. some days it feels easier if I were a single mom lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Becoming a parent put a great strain on my marriage for the first two kids. It wasn't anything to do with the kids specifically, but with my husband and I not on the same page about our life. We've since worked through a lot of issues and have grown closer. However, at the beginning of being parents it wasn't rainbows and butterflies, that's for sure.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• close but far
    close from rejoicing
    far from lack of sleep and crabby
    close for new milestones
    far due to lo wanting mommy more.....
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2011