what do I do if my daughter is being bullyed by a fellow classmate of the same sex?

Recently my daughter came to me complaining a classmate was harassing her. My daughter is only six.What should I do? I was thinking of putting her in another class,but I do not want to disrupt her learning,help!

Happy2bamom08

Asked by Happy2bamom08 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make the teacher aware of it. Your child should not be removed from the classroom. The offender should. Don't run from the bullying, confront it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'm with the PP. Don't make your daughter have to adjust.. talk to the school talk to the teacher make sure she is aware that it is going on. If it persists ask to schedule a parent teacher conference with the other kids parents. Your child shouldn't be made to rearrange everything she has known because one kid is a bully. The bully is the one who should have to suffer and readjust.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 8:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• The other ladies are correct. Contact the teacher. Ask the teacher what she will be doing to take care of this problem. IF this doesnt stop immediatly request a meeting with teacher and principle of the school. Its the schools job to ensure that your child has an enviroment free of emotional and physical harm. Dont forget that. YOUR tax dollars are paying for this. They work for you and your child. IF nothing else works request a meeting with the principle and the parents of the bully. Let them both know that you expect this to stop and you will take whatever steps necessary including legal if necessary.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I agree with the PP's. I would however try to role play with your daughter and give her appropriate ways to deal with the bully. This could really help build her self esteem.

KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 8:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I would also teach your daughter to push back. Unfortunately suing the school because some little girl is saying not so nice things to her isn't the answer. If you don't give your daughter the skills to deal with people who don't have her best interest at heart, then while you may avoid having to deal with this kid, it will just be another one down the road. The first thing I would work on with your daughter, is to remind her. This is another kid. She may have a big mouth but so what. Who is she that she is so special as to have her word taken so seriously as to undermine your kids self confidence? Then follow this up with saying, there are a lot of miserable people in the world, does this mean you give away your happiness to them?
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008