What actually causes the baby to not develop a heartbeat?

I am very early on, so baby's heart shouldn't be beating yet. I am supposed to go on March 11 to hear that. :) Yay.

For some reason last night I started to really panic that when I go we won't find the heartbeat. I looked online and there were allot of stories where this happened, but I couldn't find information about why.

Do you know why this happens? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

angelmommy11

Asked by angelmommy11 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• There isn't anything you can do to prevent the way your child develops or doesn't develop. Unfortunately there just isn't anything that has been invented or tested yet that can change the course of a negative development. When the baby first starts growing in the whomb it is nothing more then a ball of cells. Within those first two weeks anything that the baby will be born with, has wrong with it, or whether it develops at all is determined. That includes whether the cells go together properly, whether the baby has any disorders or genetic dispositions, and/or whether the baby continues to grow. If the cells don't go together properly the baby will either have trouble developing or cease to continue growing. Which can lead to a misscarriage and/or complicated pregnancy. Also, in most cases of a miscarriage the genetic cells between partners can cause issues, which can cause the baby to stop growing.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• the heart beat will be faint till you get further along. its cause the baby is soooo small.. i know its scary.. but if you see it on the u/s blinking (beating) you know everything is ok how far are you???
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 1:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• its normal. just relax.. you stress out to much there is a chance of miscarriage.. im 31 weeks and my baby has alot of problems. but that doesnt pertain to you sorry... but yeah my first was 8 weeks preggo and they could barely hear it. now a days it all depends which way she is laying for them to get it loud and clear.... im thinking 12 weeks or so you will start to hear it more.... dont panic :)
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 1:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my ob says that u can't hear the hb thru the doppler till 12 weeks... they will have to do a vaginal u/s to hear the hb that early
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 2:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I went in at 5 1/2 weeks for spotting and got an u/s and the sac and embryo were there but they said it was too early for the heartbeat so they had me to come back a week later at 6 1/2 weeks to get the heartbeat. And luckily when we went back, we saw and heard the the heartbeat through the vaginal ultrasound. So you should be able to see it at 7 weeks!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 7:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm only 4.5 weeks and I go in at 7 weeks to have an us checking for the heartbeat. I don't have any good reason to be so scared, I'm just terrified. This is my first child.
    angelmommy11

Comment by angelmommy11 (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• (Continue) The baby's heartbeat can be heard as early as nine weeks through a external or vaginal doppler. When I had a miscarriage in 2007 that is when they determined the baby's heartbeat wasn't there when they did an external heart beat check. With a following ultrasound they determined the baby had stopped growing. That's when the doctor informed me of the possible reasons why I had miscarried. (As mentioned in my previous post) There isn't a way of determining why a person has a miscarriage early in the pregnancy. Even some late term miscarriages are mysteries, as they cannot pinpoint a cause.

Now, I'm not saying this to scare you, but more to inform you of what you may not know. Just have faith that your child will be healthy and strong, because the more you stress about it the more pressure you're putting on yourself.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Thank you all for your answers. I am trying to just relax and let the worry go. I have no control over what I can't control and I'm doing everything I know to do. So fingers crossed my little baby's heart will be thumping well in a couple weeks!
    angelmommy11

Comment by angelmommy11 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011