Infant Day Care or stay at home ?

How many months or years after your child was born did you stay at home as a mother & housewife ?

Working mothers :
How many months did you take off work after giving birth ?
Grandparents or Daycare ?

My husband told me that Daycare would be better, but I'm not sure.
What do you think ?

Thanks !

lillyblue111

Asked by lillyblue111 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think the answer, honestly, is whatever is best for your family. You're going to find people with strong opinions on either end of the scale. None of that really matters if it's not what's best for you, your husband and your child.

To answer your questions though, I went back to work part-time (two days a week for an 8 hour office day) when my son was 12 weeks old. He stayed with my parents the days I worked. I worked that part-time, 2 day a week arrangement for a total of 8 years until both my kids were in school full-time. They are now 8 and 6 years old and in 3rd and 1st grade respectively. I now work 5 days a week but still on a part-time basis. I drop them off at school at 9:15, drive into work for a 10am start. I leave work at 2:30 and head straight to the school to pick the kids up. When they have off of school and I'm working, my parents baby sit. It's what works for us.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm still home! I just couldn't leave them!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• When I went back to work after leaving my ex, my kids were 4, 5, and 8. I had always stayed home with them. I've stayed home since my 4th was born and he's 28 months. I plan on staying home at least until they are in college. I don't see how daycare could be better for them than one on one care from their mother.

Answer by missanc at 1:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If you have a job, at least take a couple of months to spend time with your baby. if you want to be a SAHM and you can afford it, I would do that. You can always try to find a job later.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm with missanc. My first son is 22 and my second son is 4. I have been with both of them since birth. No one will love them the way I do. No one will care for them like I will.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 1:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Months off? Who gets months off work after giving birth? I was lucky to get 6 wks with my 1s and 2nd and with my 3rd I was a WAHM and I took 2 wks off and then went back part-part-time (2hr/day) for 3 wks.
    Anonymous

• 10 weeks, then my parents took care of him. But had they not been there, it would have been infant day care. Staying home wasn't an option.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• With my first child he was in daycare at 7 weeks old...:( not an easy thing to do but I had no choice, I had to work and I had no family to watch him for me...everyone worked too.

WIth my other two ages 2 and 5 months..I've been home for a little over 2 years now.

If I go back to work outside of the home(which I do make money at home) I will most likely work either strictly weekends or nights so that dh can take care of them.

I have nothing against daycares and I think that if you really do your homework..there are some great ones out there with great workers and child care providers.
    But for us, this is just the way we want it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I've been a SAHM since before my oldest was born. Quit my job in March 2000 and haven't worked since. My kids are 10 1/2, 9, 8, almost 5 and 7 months. I have no intentions of going back to work.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• With my first I had no choice but to go back to work. I went back when he was 8 weeks. My mil though watched him every day. I worked in daycare and did not want him there in that environment (that is not true about all daycares though, just that one) My second son came along 13 months after my first. I stayed home for 9 months and then needed to go back to work. I had a job at another daycare that I absolutely loved, still refer it to everyone. My boys went two days a week and my mil watched them 3 days a week. 20 months after my second son came my dd. I have stayed home since she was born and now have an in-home daycare. This works very well for us.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2011