My four year old wont listen? HELP!

I have tried everything, but dont believe in spanking. What can I do. Time outs dont work.... He just gets up and does it again. He screams at me and I just cant take it anymore. HELP LADIES!

jmgblair10

Asked by jmgblair10 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• what do you mean when you say time outs don't work?
    is it a matter of him just doing it again after one time out?
    My LO was like that. She figured once she had the time out over with, then she was in the clear. Then I started repeating the time outs and that made a difference. She only got one minute for the age she was, so even if she got 3 time outs it's not like she spent all day in time out.
    but I wish I'd had a picture of the look on her face the first time she got a second time out. A look of complete shock, then she argued, 'NO! I'm DONE!'
    Made a lot of difference.
    Anonymous

• I am going through this with my 3 1/2 y/o. It's tough and many times I get beyond frustrated. Some books I've read that seem to have some good suggestions are Love and Logic for Early Childhood and Have a New Kid by Friday. I'm also reading Grace-Based Parenting. I think they're all good. My main problem is being on the same page with my DH. Good luck and I hope that helped!!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 1:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• The rebellion is a part of the age. Every time your child doesn't listen, calmly remove a favorite toy from the room, and tell him that he can get it back when he listens. As soon as he is listening, give him back the toy, give him a big hug and a ,"Good job listening!"
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You have to find the right carrot. With my oldest, I have to punish her before she cares what I said. My youngest a dirty look works. What ever discipline you try or use it has to be consistent and age appropriate. Maybe try the reward system. If he follow the house rules, or does what you ask then he gets a marble. If he gets x marbles he gets a reward. The reward can be extra TV, toys, food, choosing dinner, more one on one time with you or some favorite person, stay up late. Talk with him about what he thinks is a fair reward for the marbles. Ensure it is clear what the house rules are and what is expected. So everyone is on the same page and he would know how to get and lose the marbles.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2011