So..I made my son cry :(

Last year for my sons 10th birthday, he wanted a pirate party. So thats what he got. On the front of his invitations I put.."AHOY MATEYS,PLEASE JOIN US IN CELEBRATING CAPTAIN JOSHUAS BIRTHDAY!" Party was a success, lots of fun, yadda yadda yadda.
Fast forward 1 year...his 11th birthday is coming up and I'm knee deep in the planning for his party.
So, as he sat and ate his breakfast this morning, I asked him "Josh, just to be sure before I write out these invitations...is this what you want them to say" and I read it to him. and he said " YEAH, THATS FINE AS LONG AS YOU DON'T PUT CAPTAIN JOSHUA, I'M STILL GETTING MADE FUN OF BECAUSE OF THAT" I started laughing and I said, really? why? He said the kids call him" Cap,Captain Joshua,Captain"...I really started laughing at this and said, well Joshua I think their just teasing, not meaning to hurt you. Instead of getting mad why don't you laugh and tell them to go swab your deck or something like that. And he started to cry! He said your my mom, youre not supposed to make fun of me!
I wasn't trying to make fun of him, I just saw the humor in it and was trying to get him to see it too. Didn't work,lol.
Man, do you think there could be something more going on with that than he is telling me? I mean, its been a YEAR..this is the FIRST I'm hearing of it..and he really wants to have another party with all his friends again so he couldnt have been too traumatized, right?
lol, I don't know..but awww...I feel bad, I made my poor baby boy cry :(

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• If there was more to it than that, you'd have already heard it. I have a feeling he's reached that literal stage.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I bet his friends mention it once in awhile and acts like he doesn't care and brushes it off but it really does bother him. He told you about it and you are to be the one person not to make fun (even though I see what you are doing) and he is extra sensitive about it since he has been holding it all back.
    I am really short. I constantly got picked on by friends for being so little. They would call me shorty, pat my head, lean their arm on my head like an armrest, etc. When they did it I just ignored it. They were my friends and I knew they were doing it to be funny and not to be mean even though it bothered me. One day my older brother made one comment about my height and I lost it. I think I was 10 or 11. He is 8 years older than I and I just adored him growing up. Him doing that just popped my bubble and I was so upset. I think this is what happened to your son.
    Anonymous

• maybe he's just really sensitive.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think he will be ok. Of all the ways to make fun of a kid that one seems to be pretty tame. I would try again to tell him you weren't making fun though - you don't want him to stop talking to you.

good luck!
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Sounds like there is more to it. Since he does want to have another party with his friends then more then likely its a bully at school making fun of him. Maybe the bully didnt get invited. Maybe the bully just didnt come. On top of it yes he could be sensitive, kids being bullied can be anyway. I would see if you can talk to him about it, or maybe have dad do it? You can also maybe ask around to other moms you know with kids who came to the party and see if theyve heard anything about bullies at school.

Answer by gemgem at 1:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Just talk to him about it. Make sure to explain you weren't intending to hurt his feelings, you were just trying to help him work through their teasing. Just talk to him and see where he stands.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• lol..i think youre right gdiamante..poor kid
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Thats true gemgem..I didnt think that it could possibly be a bully :( oh boy...I hope not.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Heck, I got teased for things sometimes 3 or 4 years after it happened. In one case the only reason why the teasing stopped over something that had happened in Junior high was because we'd graduated.

They'll probably still be calling him Captain Jack at his reunion.
    It does hurt when your parents make light of your feelings. I understand where he's coming from.
    "he really wants to have another party with all his friends again so he couldn't have been too traumatized, right? "
    not necessarily.
    I think you owe him a apology, and perhaps some time of actually listening to him rather than laughing at his feelings.
    Anonymous