Is preschool necessary? Or over rated?

We have an only child and I stay home with him, he just turned 3 and I'm debated on sending him to a private preschool in another year but was told that they don't HAVE to go and it's not necessary, what are your thoughts.

prettyinink2011

Asked by prettyinink2011 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In my opinion, overrated. I tried to find a preschool to send my son to and found out we could not afford it and Headstart was not an option because it is based on income which I didn't know beforehand. I've heard people swear by it and others say they worked with their kids at home and they were just as ready for Kindergarten as those who had gone to preschool. An education aide that we know told us it really does not matter from everything she has seen. I think it's just a personal decision and everyone does what they think is best.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• dont have to but it definatly helps prepare for school
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Not necessary but for my kids it was helpful in making friends and teaching them social skills.

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think it is helpful. One year is plenty but I think they need that year to be prepared for Kindergarten.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• it's a good way to get a break lol. and they can learn social skills around other kids. you'll be preparing them for kindergarten, but it's not necessary.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Where we live they start at 4 anyways. Our son turned 4 in december and when he was 3 we started having a teacher come into the home and teach him once a week. Ive seen so much impovement since she has been coming. I think its a good thing. But I dont tink its necessary to make them go everyday.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I don't think it has to be an either/or. If you are an active, engaged parent who can teach just by playing with your child, then preschool is unnecessary. If you aren't a parent who likes to be actively engaged with your child very often or you don't feel comfortable or adequate as a teacher, then preschool is a great idea! Also, preschool is great for kids who don't have siblings and who don't often get to interact with other children.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think its good for them. By the time mine went to Kinder they had a routine and knew what school was about and werent sitting there crying when I left. On top of it they also knew how to write, draw, ABC's, and had good socialization skills. I think if I had a choice I would always send them. I only sent my first child 2 days a week when she was little, and it was enough.

Answer by gemgem at 1:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Depends on the school you want him to go to for Kindergarden. At my daughters current one, they wanted to the kids to have the ABC's, counting to 20, writing their name down pat. Also it helped my shy daughter to open up and figure out how to make friends and build confidence on her own. So in your case I would look at a part time schedule for a few days a week so he gets a prep for Kindergarden.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think that it helps with the Social aspect of it.
    Michelle2931

Answer by Michelle2931 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011