Do you potty train a boy sitting down or standing up?

MommyJen

Asked by MommyJen at 1:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We trained sitting down. There's no way we could have taught him to aim. He had a freakin firehose when he was 2. We covered the standing up a bit later when he was fully trained. It just depends on what works for your family.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 1:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Sitting. Save yourself the trouble.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 1:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• WE started training him sitting down until he was a pro at that and then we taught him to stand up, the transition was easy. I find that it's better to teach them sitting down first b/c that way they dont get confused when they have to go #2
    MrsCanning

Answer by MrsCanning at 1:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I've heard it's best to train them sitting down because if you train stanind up, they won't understand why they have to sit to go #2. Besides I think it's just easier to teach them sitting down so that you don't have to worry about aiming yet.
    Fala

Answer by Fala at 1:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I trained mine standing up.
    sjdchbkr

Answer by sjdchbkr at 2:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We are training sitting down, though he wants to do it "his way" so he squats on the seat *laughs*
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 2:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• He learned sitting, but now he stands. I am so glad it finally happen-him being potty trained. YAY!!!!
    shellybean36

Answer by shellybean36 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• As a daycare teacher I can say I was more satisfied with a standing up approach. Have your child stand over the toilet and rest his hands on the top of the commode (the part you can lift off if something isnt working properly) I've found that when they sit, they want to watch the urine come out, resulting in many messes.
    sskyesmom

Answer by sskyesmom at 4:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We trained Addison sitting a first, which only last a week or 2 and he wanted to stand up. I put fruit loops in te bowl and told him to sink the rings. He loved it!!
    mamatoheartbaby

Answer by mamatoheartbaby at 5:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Mine was trained sitting down. But the only way he would do it was to sit backwards on the potty. The good thing about that is he would use the tank of potty to draw or keep himself entertained till he would go potty! Course about a month later summer came and his favorite place to potty was on our evergreen tree!
    megtre

Answer by megtre at 8:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2008