Any ideas on controlling my 3 year olds temper tantrums. Time outs don't seem to do the trick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• record him and play it back to him and show him that its not a good thing to do
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I started putting my twins in their room till they stopped crying.Just pick them up, carry them to their room, explain that when their done crying they can come out,shut the door, and walk away.It took some time, but now all I have to say is go to your room, and they stop.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 8:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• You have to just keep sending him to timeout every time he starts up warn him and if he doesn't listen put him in there for 3 minutes. You can even swat him on the hand and then send him if he isn't responding to just timeouts. Just keep a calm voice when you swat him and tell him to go to timeout. When you get him out explain to him why he went and hopefully that will help.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I had the same problem. Found out what works for me is I go and sit him in the same spot next to the couch, and set a timer for 3 minutes. Weather he cried or not. If he was still crying after 3 minutes, he gets another 3 (Sniffling doesnt count). He finally figured out that when the timer was done, so was the time out.
    AndrewnNatesMa

Answer by AndrewnNatesMa at 10:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2008