Help!

Hey ladies, my daughter is 5mnths and she is constantly waking up to feed. The pediatrician insists on making her wait until 6mths to have cereal. But the lack of sleep between hubby and I is reaking havoc on our relationship.
Im giving my baby girl cereal TONIGHT.

What is a good ratio of rice cereal and formula to put into her bottle? Please only suggestions that have worked:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never put cereal in the bottle. Sorry. It is a choking hazard and you risk her never waking again.

And here's the really bad news. Cereal doesn't make them sleep. Usually it makes them wake MORE.. solids before bed spike blood sugar... then when the blood sugar plummets in an hour or so, baby is up screaming.

I'm sorry, but you were looking for what works... this doesn't. Co-sleeping worked here, but I know that's not for everyone.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• gdiamante and I couldn't disagree more .. So here's my opinion. Although I don't agree in cereal in a bottle I also dont' agree that it's a choking hazard. Not as much as people would make you believe. Otherwise Doctors wouldn't recommend it and out of those who've done it not a single one of their children have had any issues. That aside, I think that you should be giving her cereal and/or Pureed food regularly at her age. She clearly is asking for more food, which should be HER choice and not her doctor's. I would suggest starting her out with a dinner meal of pureed food. When you eat she should eat. Feed her as much pureed food as she wants, whether it be fruits/veggies or just cereal. Then give her a 5 oz bottle. That's how I did it with my kids. Once I switched them to pureed food as a meal along with a small bottle they slept GREAT.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Jazz and I have precisely opposite experiences. Solids made mine wake MORE. **smile** As to cereal, only at a doc's direction in the bottle, for reflux.

We did an informal survey of the members of the breastfeeding moms group a few years ago, and the overwhelming result was less sleep rather than more.

But. Your choice. You can certainly try the solids. The worst that can happen is that nothing changes and you're back at square one. If it helps, then you can message me and let me know to shut my yap. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 2:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I wouldn't put it her bottle, but with a spoon.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would also avoid putting formula in the bottle and agree that it doesn't make babies sleep longer. Regardless of whether or not it does...why not just use a spoon?

Also, baby oatmeal has more protein in it that rice cereal (which isn't very nutritious). Double also, you can just put regular oatmeal in the food processor and grind it up to a gritty powder to make baby oatmeal.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If I was you I would Take a tiny bit of whatever fluid she is drinking and mix a little bit of cereal in it to where it is like a runny cream of wheat consistancy and try to give her little bites from a spoon. My doc told me that babies are typically ready when they stop pushing the food out with their tongues. Hope this helps and restfull sleeping to you soon I hope!
    familynsni

Answer by familynsni at 3:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I am sorry to say that cereal did not help my baby sleep longer. For the longest time she would only sleep for 4 hrs at nite. She is just now at a year sleep 8 + hours at nite.
    We started cereal at 4 mons but slowly by 6 months she ate fruits & veggies per her dr instructions.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard. Cereal often disrupts sleep patterns.

Babies sleep through the night when they are ready, not when their parents want them to.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 11:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2011