3 year old Nap time stuggles- any suggestions on how i can get a hr nap for him?

My 3 year old son Haiden has always since he was 10months old never took very good naps. He is now three and most of our Emergency room visits were because of Lack of sleep so he needs at least an hr.
I start off with a routine with him, give a snack at 2pm, get his pull up on, and read at least 3 stories, as he is fighting his eyes and rubbing and leaning on me cuz he cant keep his head up. So i then go lay him down at 2:30 where he sits in his room and fights it for a half hr and finally goes down by 10 to 3pm and then only sleeps for a half hr and is whiny and crabby by 5pm and he goes to bed at 7:30pm and still has issues falling asleep and sits and talks in his room until like 10:30 and wakes up at 7am.
I am struggling and don't know what to do. His eyes always look tiered and i feel bad for him.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 1:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son stopped napping at 3 and I begged everyday even made him lay there for an hour. I started to do a quiet time instead. We bundle up in the living room and put on disney, no jumping around and minimal talking. I figured at least he is getting rest.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my 2 oldest girls stopped nap time at 2 yrs old. good luck
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• At 3 they are getting out of the napping stage. Sometimes my 3 yr old takes a nap and sometimes she doesnt. I dont force her. I don what MelissaAnn does though 'rest time' .
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my daughter stopeed naps jsut after she turned 2 and my son stopped at around 2 1/2

I made them do quiet time instead- they ahd to lay on the couch with a blanket and stuffed animal or pillow or whatever and watch a movie- sometimes thye would pass out but usually not. They had to lay there for the whole movie
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011