Chores?

My oldest dd will be 5 this yr. What would be a good chore to start with for her to do?? She already picks up her toys before bedtime.

L0vingMy3Girls

Asked by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• She could help unload the dishwasher, sweep the kitchen floor, dust, fold laundry, clear the dinner table and wipe it down, wipe down counters...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My almost 5yo is supposed to keep her toys picked up, dirty clothes in the laundry, fold and put away her clean clothes, empties the dishwasher when asked, helps take out the trash/recycling, picks up stuff in other rooms, helps in the yard, sweeps (or tries to, she's not very good), dusts (she likes that one), cleans the bathroom (new chores for all the kids...it's their bathroom, they make the mess they are cleaning it up), helps carry in groceries, cleans off the counter after meals, puts dirty dishes in the sink. Basically she is responsible for cleaning up any mess she makes in any room of the house and is responsible for her things (toys and clothes). I'm not the maid and won't clean up after the kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If you hand wash dishes she can help rinse them or dry them.
    If you have a dishwasher she can help load and unload the dishwasher.
    She can sweep or vacuum.
    She can pick up dirty laundry, even change the laundry. As well as put away her clean clothes.
    She can help wash windows.
    She can help dust.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• rinse off her dirty dishes. put away folded clothes.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• help with recycling, rinse, sort.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My boys are 3 and 4 and help to unload the dishwasher, set the table, match socks and make sure the dirty laundry all get put in a basket. My 4 year old is really into folding the clothes lately and is getting better. He can be quite the perfectionist. At this age they don't see it as chores but as fun helping. I am gladly taking all the help I can get before the complaining starts, lol.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Collecting the trash bags from the little cans around the house (if you have them) Like, we have small grocery bags inside little garbage cans in the bathroom,sun room and bedrooms. So my son has always been in charge of going around the night befor egarbage day, pulling them out and tying them up...he used to bring them to me now he throws them all in the big garbage bag by himself.
    Dusting is a good easy one and it seems like a lot of kids don't really mind that chore,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Folding clothes and organizing clutter

MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 6:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I dont make mine do anything. Instead she "helps" me. That way I can teach her the right way to do things and by the time she is 7-8 she will be able to do things on her own. I did the same thing with all my kids. My oldest is also a girl and she started dishes when she was around 8 or so (no knives). They all can fold laundry, do dishes, take out the trash (smaller bags), change the cat box, walk the dogs, and put their toys away by the time they are 8. But like I said I start showing them how to do it around 5-6.

Answer by gemgem at 1:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my 3 yo takes the trash of the bathroom, and sweeps, the best she can
    mamaslove4ever

Answer by mamaslove4ever at 5:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011