Why do people think that a tanning bed will cause skin cancer yet they bathe in tanning sprays?

It has been proven that 78% of all cancers are caused by lack of vitamin D. You are supposed to get 15 mins of sun every day if you are white to produce enough vitamin D. In the winter, because there is not too much sun, your vitamin D levels go down a lot, hence you get sick easier, like the cold or flu etc.
80% of americans have a dangerously low vitamin D level. As long as you have a healthy diet full of anti-oxidants you will not be affected by UVA/UVB rays. In fact the anti-oxidants act like a built-in sunscreen, your body's own self-defense mechanism against injuries caused by the uv rays.
If you get burned in the sun in just one hour without sunscreen on, that means you are not consuming enough anti-oxidants.
I am using a tanning bed once a week between december and february. My friends think that I am killing myself and that I should rather use sprays or use sunscreen in the tanning bed. Helloo!!!??? Those are the exact things that cause cancer. They are loaded with chemicals.

glenndoir

Asked by glenndoir at 1:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Health

• everything causes cancer these days...or so it seems according to the news. I think its good to educate yourself on things but at the same time if we listened to what EVERYONE said about this and that and this and that...we would all be hermits..but then again no we wouldnt, that could kill you too,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Tanning beds have been proven to be bad for you is why. You can actually get enough Vitamin D by spending 15 minutes a day outside in sun light. The sun does still shine in the winter time. I got plenty of vitamin D in the winter, either by just going outside and being active or by taking my vitamins. Tanning beds are very bad for you. Not to mention they cause leather type skins when you get older. Tanning beds are listed as one of the top cancer risks. Just take some Vitamin D.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-07-28-tanning-cancer_N.htm

Women who use tanning beds more than once a month are 55 percent more likely to develop malignant melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer.
    http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/entertainment/tipsheet/tanning-booths

Answer by gemgem at 1:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I can't remember the exact percentage but I want to say only 3% of people get cancer from abusing tanning beds. I only use a tanning bed once a week and I'm not killing myself lol.
    Sunscreen has a lot worse stuff in it that actually gets into your bloodstream and I won't use it. I do like to use self tanner on my legs on top of tanning in the bed just to make my tan last longer.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• our environment filters a lot of the UV rays that hit the earths surface.....tanning beds have no filters for the UV rays that are hitting your skin. tanning beds are worse for you than the sun, but that doesn't mean too much exposure as well as exposure that results in sun burns don't also cause cancer.
    The sun is not the only source of vitamin D. By eating a healthy balanced diet filled with fruits and veggies you can also get the amount of vitamin D that your body needs to be healthy.........instead of frying your skin.
    Anonymous

• PS. it only takes 15 mins in the sun to get sunburned.
    Anonymous

• and I use only the best tanning beds so that also helps.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• @Anons: you can not get 15 mins of sun daily in the winter. Not where I live. First of all there is no sun, sometimes for weeks. Second, it doesn't work through your clothes. You do not need to stay more than 10 mins in the bed. A healthy balanced diet will not provide enough vitamin D. Google it up: foods with vitamin D content - see how much they have and how much you really need. Fish oil has the most but still not enough, good luck eating that every day.

PS If you get sunburned in 15 mins you have big problems.
    glenndoir

Comment by glenndoir (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• And by the way, the cancer industry does not want you to get enough vitamin D. This way you will develop cancer and become a client of theirs. Hence they do everything they can to hide the truth from you which is that you need sun every day and that sunscreens and tanning lotions cause cancer. How convenient for them.
    glenndoir

Comment by glenndoir (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• sounds like your a paranoid extremist...."the cancer industry"....lol wow.

it's 30 below where I live, the sun shines in the winter and we open the curtains to let the light in.
    Uh, FYI, UV rays CAN and DO penetrate through clothing...it just takes a lot longer for your skin to get burnt under clothing.

Anonymous

• You open the curtains and that will give you vitamin D? Wow, you're a genius
    glenndoir

Comment by glenndoir (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2011