Do you let your 10 year old take thier cell phone to school?(if they have one)

Yes, my son has a cell phone. Grandma..christmas presen,unlimited everything $10/month,yes I monitor,yes its turned of at 8 pm and I keep it in my room at night.

I was making him leave it home before going to school but here recently, I've been letting him turn it off and leave it in his back pack. With all the crap that goes on in schools...in this world actually..I thought it might be a good idea for him to have it with him. If there was an emergency...he would have that security.

What are your thoughts on this?
Am I the only mom that allows their 10 yr old to do this? My son says other kids at his school have phones too...

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 10 year old niece isn't allowed by the school to bring hers.. I would have no problem with doing what you are doing.. It would be a good idea in my eyes too
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My sisters all got phones when they turned 12. I don't think my dad really "monitors" them (because he has no reason to right now) and he lets them take them to school under the assumption that if they are dumb enough to get it taken away he won't be going to the school to get it back for them. As far as I know all three have done really well with them...
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 2:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think if my daughter were 10 years I'd be letting her do the same thing. Like you said that's added security if god forbid something should happen.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes because she walks her sister home from school (she is 11 1/2 though). It stays on vibrate in her pocket or book bag
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i think at that age, too young in my own opinon
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011