Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do you get a divorce without high attorney fees?


Asked by tastymama at 1:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Relationships

Level 14 (1,507 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • If there are NO CHILDREN and NO REAL ESTATE owned together you can do it yourself. The courthouse has the papers to fill out. Once filed there will be a court appointed "helper" to make sure you filed it out right. If you have children and real estate you must hire an ATTORNEY. Do NOT do something as important by hiring a Paralegal. I can say that as I was a Paralegal. You can also see if you qualify for Legal Aid.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • Well if you both agree to everything you can hire a paralegal to do the paperwork for you. You can also go to the clerk of court and ask them what you need to file on your own. Its when you dont agree, have custody issues or assets to split where the lawyers come in and take all your money.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • If you have no assets to split, it is easy, there is a form for this, if there are assets, then I would suggest an attorney and if you have no money, there are a lot of law students and clinics that can help you out.

    Answer by older at 1:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • If you can agree on what to split, you don't need a lawyer. My parents didn't have a lawyer. To finalize the divorce took a while though. That's what I remember.

    Answer by KairisMama at 2:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2011