Can you get a good job if you get your education online?

tastymama

Asked by tastymama at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• Most online degrees do no say that you earned it online, but I would always verify that with the school your looking into. Also make sure you are getting a degree by an accredited school and not some cheap certificate that you can't really do anything with. Be careful because there are some money grubbing schools out there.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• That's really going to depend upon WHICH online school you choose and what type of job you are looking for. If you're choosing a for-profit school, that's going to count against you. It's going to end up costing a lot, and it's not going to be worth much. First look into what your state university and community college systems offer. Then, look into what other public schools in other states offer. Private online universities can be non-profit, but check carefully.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• you can, but they tend to screw you over... personal experience
    whitneyw90

Answer by whitneyw90 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Depends on the school my husband is finishing his degree online through The University of Oklahoma. I would do alot of research before you make a decesion.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

Answer by whitneyw90

Can you tell me what happened? I'm going to school online. You can PM me.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2011