How old should a child be before allowing them in the labor and delivery room to watch mom give birth?

I'm watching TLC and this lady let her 10-13 yr old daughter in to watch her have her baby sister.!It made me cry because the little girl said it makes her appreciate her mom even more watching her have the baby.What do you all think ? At what age is it ok to allow a child in the room to attend mom giving birth?

Hugeat8wks

Asked by Hugeat8wks at 2:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think it's a matter of personal preferance.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Well I was 10 when I watched my sister being born, I ran out throwing up :) But I think it really depends on the child's maturity level.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Ummm...... Really? I don't think I would ever let my kids in the room for that.... I would be scared or traumatizing them. But everyone is different.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think it is fine if the daughter wanted to be in there and was told the mom would be in pain and then be fine afterwards. 10 may be a little young but it depends on the maturity of the child.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I agree its all about the Maturity Level!
    Hugeat8wks

Comment by Hugeat8wks (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think it's just wrong, no matter what the age. JMO.
    Anonymous

• I personally don't think children need to be in the delivery room at all. I wouldn't let my daughter see me give birth, I just don't find it appropriate. If she were like...15, 16 or older and told me she WANTED to then i guess so but younger than that I just wouldn't let her. I just don't see why children need to be in there. But again, that's just my opinion.
    davila26

Answer by davila26 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I too think it has to do with the maturity of the child. My 2 oldest kids were 14 (son) & 21 (daughter) when we had baby #3. There was never any question as to whether they would be present for the birth. From the moment they found out about the pregnancy, they just assumed they would be there. My son thought he would leave sometime during the birth, being 14 & a boy, babies weren't of great interest to him. However, he & his sister were there for the last 10 or so hours of the 18 1/2 hours & ended up video taping & taking pictures. (from behind me) It turned out to be a family affair which also included my mom & dad & I wouldn't wanted had it any other way.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• personally i would never let my kids in the room no matter what age they are.
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• All ages, any ages.
    I have been to births with other babies and young children, older kids, too.

Depends mainly on the mom, her perspective, and interest.

My toddler participated in her sister's delivery, was there to see her come out.
    :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011