Is there any parent who is very anxious about the future of their ds child? Will he be able to one day complete a bank transaction?

I am the mother of several borrowed children and one biological ds child. Very worried about everything. I have not done the blood test but I am going out of my mind. I really love children and cannot understand why I have such a seemingly difficult journey? Am I being punished for being good? Does this mean I will never be a grandma? Guess I need help or direction. Just sad and worn.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• do you mean down syndrome?
    lorfav

Answer by lorfav at 8:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• hmm I'm not sure I totally got this question until I saw the pp asking if DS meant down syndrome. If that is what you mean by DS all I can say is I have seen VERY functional people with ds. I worked in the personal care feild and I preferred working with ds patients over any other type of person. I also just wanted to say I do not know if yu are a spiritual person or not but I do know sometimes we are given a "burden" because we are the only person God could trust with that burden. Not to say your child is a burden but you don't know what he might grow up to do. Think of the people with disabilities who grew up to change the way we think about disability. Example: Hellen Keller! But what would have become of these amazing adults if they hadnt amazing parents as children. Think about it :) Your not being punished.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We are on a roller coaster ride. We have had such downs and so scared that he will never learn how to read or write. Then we would get some good news and things looked like it is going to be just fine. Now we are back in that low spot again. My two year old has just been tested for a very rare chromosome disorder. So rare that there are only a few children living who have it. I will not get the lab tests back for another 6 - 8 weeks. I am trying to be calm. I am a good parent. In fact I pride myself, maybe out of arrogance, that I am a better than average mom. I'm excellent with children, have made a career out of helping families - yet this is still happening to me. I don't think I did anything, its just life. So all I can do is be the best mom I can be to the little boy that calls me Mama.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2008