Any one out there have kids that are really advanced mentally for their age group?

My son Haiden is turning 3 years old in a week. His peds told me he is an age and half older mentally than his birth age and he prolly will always be like that. His speech is at a high 3 and half year old, he knows all of his basic colors, can recognize his name when written in front of him, He knows most of his shapes the basic ones, he gets himself dressed all by himself in the morning with just a tad of assistance like with his socks and getting his shirt passed his head, and his shoes on. He can count to 3 with assistance.
It is really hard to punish him cuz he can do a 4min timeout mentally but physically he can't do it so i am stuck with a 3min time out? ANY suggestions on your punishing methods for really advanced child

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 5 year old is pretty darn smart (doing multiplication and adding and subtracting double digits and stuff) but he is a bit less mature... so i'm a little worried about school :P

i think as far as time outs go, do it per age, not smarts. smarter kids are going to test you more! mine tests me a ton! and when i think back i did it to my parents to and i rebelled so much because i was bored in school. so many kids get labelled as problems or incorrectly diagnosed with things because they aren't getting the right kind of direction and teaching.
    good luck
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 2:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I dont know for sure if my daughter (3 dec 2010) is advanced for her age or not but I think she is in some ways. Time out in a chair dosent do much either. I am now doing a bedroom time out, she gets picked up & put into her room where she has to stay for like 10minutes or until she calms herself down. So far this works for us, if its close to dinner time or bedtime though & the offense is big enough she will go to bed for the entire night, the early bedtime has worked wounders for us. She cries & even follows us out of the room but I silently pick her up & put her back in. Its frustrating b/c sometimes I put her back in upwards of 30times! Keep it up though, I found putting a gate up (of which she climbs over anyway) only fuels the fire too. PM me if you wanna trade ideas etc. it takes a lot of thinking outside the box with kids like this I am finding. Good Luck
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Then just stick with the 3 mins. Why does he need 4? My son is advanced too i just have to work with him on time outs and he is 5 I can't really get him to stand still for time out either. I sometimes do the penny on the wall that he has to hold with his finger.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• By letting my daughter be in her bedroom it allows her to move around & helps teach her to calm down on her own. When she gets upset now she says at the end of a meltdown "I am ready to calm down now" I just let it all run its course until then. She goes into her room though when she is so out of control & so loud that nobody else in the house can stand it. By putting her in her room she knows we mean bussiness, sometimes too while she is in her room calming down she has gone to sleep! Usually that means she was/is super duper tired if she sleeps like that on her own! We all have our awful/bad moments & just need our space, giving the kids their own space I honestly think is a good thing.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If i leave him in his room he destroys things like his mini blinds, or tries to climb his dresser to break something, or he plays, i was told not to put him in his room since his toys are there and he is not learning a lesson. But giving him time outs where he can't see anybody or play with anything is the best and he then has time to think about it
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My Son is very ahead of His age, and brilliant..and by the way, speech doesn't always mean the kid is ahead mentally, nor is it really a part of it. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• His PEDS said to me his speech is at a High 3 and half year old if not 4 year old (TO -AJ)
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Well, that's great! But you missed the point of what I was saying. That's ok, though. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My oldest was reading and doing basic addition and subtraction at 2 1/2 years old. At the end of the day, though he was still 2 1/2 or 3 or whatever age it was at the time. That meant that even though academically he was ahead, emotionally he was still a little kid and he had to be handled as such when it came to discipline. I treat him accordingly.

In other words - just because your child speaks well and can do some things ahead of his birth age, doesn't mean you need to alter time-outs or other methods. Work on giving him the emotional IQ to talk about how he's feeling - but don't assume he's going to have the self-control and/or impulse control to behave in an older way even if he's hitting some milestones ahead of schedule. Dont' expect he can tolerate a longer time-out because he's ahead on milestones. He's still a little kid with a little kid's attention span and little kid's self-control.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I guess I don't really see where he is ahead of other kids his age.

I care much less about where my kids are academically as long as they are not struggling and much more about where they are socially and emotionally.

He sounds like a normal 3 year old to me.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 2:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2011