When a teen becomes pregnant, who is too blame? Common sense is the one who opened there legs, but at 14-21 or maybe longer did you know best?

The teen not the parent....

Did you know that at the age of 14 in New Jersey, they have more rights then the parents when it comes to sex and protecting them, so if the law is we can't know if they are pregnant, we can't know if they have diesease, we can't make them an appointment.

Then what????? How can they blame the parent, something needs to be done quick. I know a mom who is a grandma and her child is 16 because her daughter refused to go to the doctor, now who is too blame?

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If the parents have taught their kids between right and wrong, and have gone as far as getting condoms and birth control, then I think it is the ones having sex. So often parents get blames for their children's behavior. The only thing this does is show the kids that they can make mistakes and someone else is going to take the fall for their actions. When will the kids take responsibility for their own actions?

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It's the teens responsibility IMO. End of story. They know where to get help if they need it and if they choose to that is THEIR fault. Not the parents.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• There is a HUGE difference between 14 and 21.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I got myself to a free clinic back when I was 18 b/c I knew my mother didnt approve of sex or birth control. It was a terrible experience, free clinics are disgusting, but I knew if I was going to be having sex, it was my responsibility to make sure I didnt have an unplanned pregnancy
    Anonymous

• When exactly are kids responsible for their actions anymore? No matter what a kid or teen does it's never their fault. There is always someone else to blame...namely their mother. What a great thing to teach the next generation. Why should they even consider the consequences or their actions when they know they aren't at fault...it's all their parents fault anyway. No one will blame them for their mistakes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I got pregnant at 16 and I take complete responsiblity! My mom couldnt have stopped me from having sex. I snuck around and she had no idea I was sexually active. No you cannot blame the parents. My mom was/is a WONDERFUL mom but that was just something out of her control!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Ok, but not everyone is irresponsible at 21. When I was 21, I had been married for 3 years, had owned my own home for a year, and had a great job and a future. I can understand being concerned when someone gets pregnant at 14, but once a person is 18 they are legal adults.
    I agree with febmom regarding the teen pregnancy part of it, but again, life at 14 is very different from life at 21.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm 21 and I'm pregnant and certainly not a teen... and it can be both to blame in MY opinion
    whitneyw90

Answer by whitneyw90 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I don't think it is a matter of blame - the focus should be how do you handle preparations for this new life.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think it's the responsibility of the teen to protect himself or herself from diseases and pregnancy. Condoms are cheap and there isn't an age limit (or at least not around here) to buy them. At many places, like Planned Parenthood and departments of health, people under 18 can get birth control. Parents, regardless of their personal feelings about sex, NEED to educate their children about it as well, period. And I agree that there is a HUGE difference between 14 and 21, but at both ages they should know about sex and protection, IMO. No, I don't think a 14 year old needs to be having sex, but I do think they need to know the facts so they are prepared when they DO have sex. The education is mostly the responsibility of the parents, IMO, but teens have access to information in many other places.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011