I'm having such a difficult time potty training my little boy...he's 2 1/2 and it gets hard to stay on track and when he sits down it goes everywhere but hes too scared to stand up...its a mess....help please!

Calitta_B

Asked by Calitta_B at 2:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to tell him to hold his winky down when he goes pee. Thats just what I did with both my boys.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my ds spilled through the toilet seat all the time. I told him to point his peeper down when he had to go. I tried getting him to pee standing up for a YEAR and he wouldnt! I had my brother 2 of my cousins and 2 of his cousins show him how to pee standing up, and he wouldnt do it, but the day after daddy got home from deployment he started peeing standing up. So have daddy, grandpa, uncle someone show him how, and hopefully he will get the hang of it. Good Luck!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I held our son while he peed standing up for the first time and he was scared and cried and then we both laughed and he's been standing ever since! I would keep trying standing because it's SO much easier.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I agree you have to tell him to point it down into the toilet so it doesn't go all over the place. I know one thing that worked well for me was a timer, so we didn't los track of when he should be trying to go. Also I had a calendar and stickers so ever time they went we would put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" amount of stickers they got a special treat like going for ice cream or hainv their favorite dinner.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• but how do I get him to let me know when he has to go...i put him in undies and sometimes he'll tell me me when he has to #2 but never when he has to pee
    Calitta_B

Comment by Calitta_B (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I am having trouble with my 3 year old with this whole thing...has regressed and keeps pooping in his underwear...oh well, it takes time.

My little boy learned from watching his cousin who is 2 years older pee pee on the toilet. Also my husband demonstrates...seems to help! Monkey see...monkey do!
    SigridSK

Answer by SigridSK at 2:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• and I am a single mom lol no man to show him or anything
    Calitta_B

Comment by Calitta_B (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have to ask my guy like every 15 minutes...and if I forget, he goes in his undies. It is a process and sometimes takes longer for boys. I know tons of little boys that were not potty trained til almost 4...ugh! But just think patience and persistance and lots of paper towels...!
    SigridSK

Answer by SigridSK at 2:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Just remember, he is only 2. He won't go to school in diapers, so relax and while I know this sounds crazy to say, enjoy this time. Maybe take him outside to pee on a tree. That helped my ds when we were goin thru that. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I was a single mom through the potty stage and it sucks but you will get through it. You have to let him pee himself, do not yell at him for his... Soon he will recognise the feeling of having to go and will let you know or do it himself.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2011