whats the easiest way to teach a 5 year old boy

my son is 5 and he dont know how to tie his shoes i have tryed to teach him and i have even told him to practice but he says he cant whats the easiest way to teach him without getting frustrated???? please help thanks

wendy232425

Asked by wendy232425 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I usually just sit there and practice with them, but mostly repetition helps a lot. One technique I used on all of my kiddies is I teach them to make an "X" then pull the strings together, then make bunny ears, then make an "X" with the bunny ears (this is where it gets tricky gotta make sure the ears aren't too big and they're holding them correctly), then have them hop one ear in the bunny hole which was made when you made that "X" with them, and have them pull it. Honestly going slowly while teaching them helps, but also it takes a lot of positive encouragement on your part and practice on theirs... don't worry he'll get there :-)

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Guess I do need to work on this with my little guy, but I just bought the velcro shoes for him! Actually did it cause I had some concerns that he might have some fine motor delays d/t being in an orphanage for his first 5 yrs. thanks for reminding me that we need to go back on work on this skill.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 10:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Well I just told my son there are a few ways to do it and everyone has to so I sat with him then everyone in the family but the baby has worked with him.
    mandyandthree

Answer by mandyandthree at 11:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• ok thanks i will try that
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2008