Public vs Private school costs

I dont want this to be a debate, i'm just curious what your average spending per year is on school per child whether it's private or public. And also what area of the country you are in.

We're looking into a private Christian school for our kids (DS#1 is in preschool now) and I know it's going to be spendy. But i also know that public school is expensive too.

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 2:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in

• I think with all the supplies, fees, dues, fundraisers, field trips, etc. in public school we pay out about $1000 per child per year. It's vastly less than the $6000 a month to have them both enrolled in private school.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm in Maryland and here you don't pay for public school, except for taxes of course. My dd is in first grade in public school and loves it. My ds is in eighth grade at a private christian school and loves it. The differences are, dd has 26 students in her classes, ds has 7 in his. The teachers in dd's school are stretched and can't spend that time to help each child who needs extra. The teachers in ds's school are always available to them for extra help and support. It is a much more "family" feel at ds's school. The cost of ds's school is one of the cheapest in the area at $5200 a year. There is one private school in the area that is $15 K a year, so that is going to really vary. Good luck with your decision.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Typically in a year we spend about $500 on activities/supplies for public school. Which is far cheaper than private school!

What has you thinking public school is expensive?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Sorry. That's $6000 per semester.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You don't pay to go to a public school. You pay for supplies, but you have to buy the same thing in private. My kids go to Catholic school. It's around 500 per month per kid. You pay school taxes whether your kid goes or not.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I pay for my DS supplies and such it's around $100. the class fee for parties is $25. The PTA is $35. Then there is Pizza nights and fund raisers adding up too. Other than supplies though I could choose not to pay the other dues or not to participate in the fund raisers.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• The private preschool i chose is $320 a month.. So it will be between $2500-2800 a year. But if i volunteer, i get some off.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 10:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Public school and be just as expensive as private school. I am nickled and dimed at public school. School fees are over $200 a year plus money for projects, field trips, strict dress codes, etc. If I add up all the money I pay out for this and that during the year, I bet it would be pretty close to the Catholic school tuition.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My kids went to Catholic school for 3 years. For 3 kids it was about $8500/year. Add in uniforms (which could only be bought at 1 store) for 3 kids, supplies, fund raisers (mandatory), service hour payment ($200 if you don't do the service), field trip costs, art supply fee...we were probably spending $9000-10000/year. (gets more expensive later...my old high school is over 8k/year per kid).
    They are now in public school and so far we've spent....like $150 on school supplies for 3 kids (a lot less stuff than their old school wanted). They have 1 fundraiser a year (but we didn't have any extra cash at the time so they collected a few dollars from neighbors). The school collected like 14k and that covers field trips and all that fun stuff (they even give every kid a free school shirt when they start there). Next year will be more pricey with 1 in middle school and 3 in elementary.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• tyfry7496 - but in catholic school you pay all the extras too. You pay for trips, supplies, fundraisers, school fees, all in addition to tuition.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2011