Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


My boyfriend and I just moved into a new apartment with our 5 month old son, and the only problem I have found is that the kitchen is INFESTED with ants!! Not those little tiny house ants...GIGANTIC black nasty things!!! We've only lived there since Saturday, and its been like 30 degrees out so I somehow doubt they just came shuffling in from outside...what are some ways I can get rid of the things?? Is this something I should bring up to my landlord [then again, my apt. complex has very poor management it probably wouldnt do much] but what can I do to get rid of them?? We don't leave food laying around, or dishes in the sink or anything so....??????????

Answer Question

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Home & Garden

Level 6 (140 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • you can bomb the apt that should get rid of them

    Answer by wendy232425 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

  • PS~ Did I mention that I have a 5 month old?? I need something that will be safe to use around him!

    Answer by AidensMommy608 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

  • can you call the landlord?

    Answer by JumpingHoops at 8:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

  • dont have your 5 month old in the house when you bomb it tells you to leave the house for acouple hrs and then come home without your child and let it air out

    Answer by wendy232425 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

  • as long as you follow the directions, bombing it is ok to do w/a 5 month old. you usually have to stay out of the house for 3-5 hrs or so, but once you come back it's aired out enough. they can't sell that stuff w/o it being tested. so if it says it's safe for kids, it is and you should be fine. if you're just uncomfortable w/chemicals, look up an earth friendly exterminator. there's lots of natural fixes. the thing is, they usually don't work as well.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

  • Call your landlord, in your lease it should say something about pest problems....we had a couple of issues and they sent someone out that same day to spray (i asked while he was here if it was safe, he said the amount he sprayed was enough to kill bugs but not a 15 lb child.)

    read over your lease and call citing any points that you feel are relevent. hope they do something

    Answer by KEHMom at 11:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

  • ... for got to add this...if your landlord decides not to do something, tell him he has to if it is in the lease, if he refuses, tell him you are looking for somewhere else and if he claims contract tell him he didn't hold up his end....and if the land lord is not the owner, call the owner directly, they don't want their property infested....

    Answer by KEHMom at 11:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

  • You can use boric acid or borax too. You can find it in the super market with the cleaning supplies. They walk through it and it kills them. Ants taste with their feet so anything they walk through gets into their bodies. If you can find where they are coming in you can spread it around that spot.

    Also, I don't know where you live but if you live somewhere where there is a Chinatown, you can go into any small market and ask them for a special kind of chalk that kills insects. It works wonders. You draw a line with the chalk and the smaller bugs can't cross it. Larger bugs will cross the line but then die shortly after. I think it's also made of the boric acid too.

    Answer by beckcorc at 9:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.