What do you have the kids do while you are busy?

I am peeling the wallpaper of in our bathroom and it's almost time for my kids to get home from school. They are done with their school work for the week but they could be studying their spelling for tomorrows test but once that is done what else can I have them do? I don't want to burn them out of school they just left school and here I am throwing something else at them. I could let them help me but the space is not roomy enough they would be more in my way and I'd be wasting time explaining what I'd want them to do.
I can't just have them go outside I'd be checking on them ever so often then I wouldn't be able to complete what I started. I like to start something and finish it if I am able.
Any suggestions ladies while I am busy and they can stay busy too.
Thank you so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• How old are they? My son is 10..if I'm busy he pretty much just occupies himself. He plays in his room,draws,plays his video games,watches tv,calls up his friend and goes over his house,plays with his sister..all kinds of stuff.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My kids are busy right along with me! There are always tasks to be done! Otherwise, you could just give them some video game time or a movie and some popcorn. I'm guessing since you are posting in the tweens section that they are old enough to have that little bit of freedom.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Board games?

Too bad there isn't enough space in the bathroom; they'd probably like peeling off wallpaper.

I think, though, that you have to expect you will be interrupted.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I usually have my kids either:

-play outside (yes, I have to check on them every little while, but it's not really a problem)
    -read a book in their rooms
    -play Wii Fit
    -watch a little TV (I allow a couple of hours per week)
    -play a board game in the bedroom

My daughters are 7 and 9 and any of the solutions work very well for us. I have talked to them extensively about the importance of them being able to do these activities without a lot of hoopla or fighting while I am working in my home office, so the fact that they get that really helps.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Just let them play by themselves! Go on the computer, play X-box, watch TV, play dolls, read. Whatever. My kids do that everyday. I certainly don't entertain them all the time!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My kids decide themselves what they do each day after school. They do their homework right when they walk in the door (if they have any) and then they are free to do as they please. They actually had a snow day today. They came in my room at 7:50am and asked if they could go play in the snow and were gone until 10:30am.
    If I'm trying to do something and they are getting in my way or bugging me then they go outside or in their room. Whatever...as long as they are out of my way. It's not my job to entertain my kids. That's their job and they can figure out what to do with their time on their own.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• we usually put a movie in or if they are old enough they can help do what ever as long as it isn't dangerous
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2011