Hair loss at middle age what works best besides surgery?

grismelda

Asked by grismelda at 3:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I am assuming this is for you . . . . have your hormones checked, and be sure you are taking your vitamins. Rogaine can help you keep what you have.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have no hormones now complete hysterectomy,and the stuff they put me on did not work for me.i take alot of vitamins and calcium,but still getting thin up there.I guess i want a miracle cure!Thanks.
    grismelda

Comment by grismelda (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• depends on why you are loosing hair... medications and stress can do it.
    first check the hair you are loosing... is it over 100 hairs a day? if not it's probably just cycling through the third stahe of growth called telagen phase (sp?), and it will grow back. If yes, look at the hair. Is there a bulb on a majority of them. (you can feel a tiny bump at the end of one of the hair ends). if you dont feel it on most, then getting a good professional shampoo and conditioner, some conditioning treatments and a thermal protectant if you are using any hot thing in your hair will help.
    if you feel the bumps on the end of the shafts you lost you need to seek your doctor, becauser it may be a form of alopecia. androgenic alopecia is genetic and there is medication both topical and oral your doctor can prescribe to try to prevent more hair loss.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• alopicia areata is the falling out in clumps of hair and sometimes a shot can help rectify this. Whatever the case may be, if you have to seek a doctor it is best to do so as soon as possible, so that if it can be fixed or helped, you get the available help before it becomes too late.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• biotin, and protien are the vitamins you need to really take.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Thank you so much.Been through a lot of stress here lately.Never thought this would happen ,but yeah its clumps dammitt.But my long hair covers it.Some has regrown in,but i still have a large patch gone at base of my neck.What else could possibly happen to me now??Thanks ladies .
    grismelda

Comment by grismelda (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• have your thyroid checked, blood-work (diabetics loose patches, too!)..and general thinning is just part of growing older.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• not on any meds of any kind.but appreciate all you ladies very much.
    grismelda

Comment by grismelda (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2011