Why do ppl in trouble see themselves sink further before (if ever) do something to help themselves

I was just talking to a fella in the waiting room as I was walking to my office. I asked if he's been helped. He said "yes". I was shocked to find that he's still an undergrad. He's really racked up some costs. He told me that he got hurt and had to step out one year without refund because of a hurt foot that's been ailing him for two years. He told me that he didn't go see a doctor because he didn't have money. If anything he could have filed as indigent. He said that he never thought about it. But then he said that he was going to the V.A. hospital. I asked him then why he waited two years before getting himself checked out. He said again he never thought about it. The guy is getting close to 40 yrs old. I wonder (without asking him) has he thought about the debts he racked up?!

What gives about these people that don't do things for themselves? They just seem to sink deeper and deeper into misery. Why?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 3:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Some people have no problem solving skills at all.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Some also don't realize what they can do and what is availablt to them.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I dunno, I guess they just don't think about it lol.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• IMO, some don't take the time to ask question, educate themselves on issues that impact their situation. Some wait for the help to come to them.... Which most of us know~ help rarely comes to you.... There are many people that need to be more proactive about their life, their situation, their goals and their game plan....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• some people just have to HIT ROCK BOTTOM before they see it!
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I tried to help a friend who was down on his luck, bad health, had to quit before being fired because he used up all the medical leave, vacation etc. He didn't drive so I called around and set up a bus to pick him up for appts., went to the store a few times for him, he had no money or food. I even called a food bank for him and all he had to do was go there and sign up. He didn't. Finally I realized I was enabling him to be dependent on me and he didn't want to help himself. Now he's on his own and he's finally seeing the light, he has to make an effort to help himself. Why help those who don't help themselves!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Lots of times it's because the people in these situations aren't as educated on all of the resources out there. Just because they are common knowledge to you doesn't mean they are to everyone else- many don't have all the financial, educational and personal resources that the rest of us take for granted.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• A lot of times, people don't know that they don't know things. They don't even know they should ask questions. Others, like this man, are procrastinators who probably had time day in and day out but were always going to to it tomorrow. If something happens, ask questions. What can I do, where can I go, who can I see, what are my options, especially if money is involved.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Lots of times it's because the people in these situations aren't as educated on all of the resources out there. Just because they are common knowledge to you doesn't mean they are to everyone else

My question to this~ how many people think they lacking the common sense skills to problem solve, ask questions, and independently think/rationalize on how to come up with a solution?  Are they waiting for someone to rescue them?  Why not think about ways to rescue themselves?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Someone who lacks logic and reasoning skills, doesn't see things the way those of us with logic and reasoning skills do. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011