Does your toddler associate the people in her/his life with colors..or something like that?

My daughter brought her little tray of colored pegs up to me a few weeks ago ..she handed me the black one and said "Bob"(thats her daddy), the blue one she said was "Josh"( her big brother" The red one was me and the yellow one was her little brother Gaige and of course, she was the pink.
I thought it was just a game for those pegs that she made up but several weels later..she is still associating those same colors with the same people..no matter where she sees these colors at.
Is this weird? lol

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's called something though i'm blanking at the moment (and feeding the baby so i don't have enough hands to look it up). my mom said i did that all the time. i also associate numbers with gender and colors... dunno why or what the significance is....
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 3:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Not weird...she just remembers the pattern she used before and is using it again to help her make sense of the world. Thats good...it means she developing more complex problem solving skills and abstract thinking.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I say it's normal.. My gremlins do it all the time.. and they're even drawn to certain colors when it comes to choosing clothes, cups, crayons, etc.. (Hubby thought it was hilarious that he was the YELLOW guy since he's Filipino.. lmao.. )
    peekab00

Answer by peekab00 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Wow, I never heard of that before but it's pretty cool. And it's cool that you think it's a neat trait your daughter has and not anything to discourage.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• it might be colors that yall wear my little one does the same thing
    there_mommy

Answer by there_mommy at 6:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I looked it up juliness..its called synesthsia..wow..it does kind of seem like what shes doing,lol.
    Its not like shes just drawn to certain colors. Every single time she sees these same colors she will say the same persons name she has always associated it with. For example..I handed her a maker that has a black body and a blue lid. She said Bob and pointed to the black part and pointed to the blue and said Josh.I didn't even ask her anythign, I just gave her the marker to use.And Bobs not black,lol..he very much white. She does have 2 colors for the baby that she always says..Yellow and Green.I'm always red or orange to her and she is always pink.Cool thing to learn about even if thats not what it is,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2011