How do I assist my daycare provider with discipline of my 2 year-old?

My 2 year old little lady is not exhibiting the same signs at home that she does at daycare. For instance, she does not stick her tounge out at me or have frequent accidents. How do I help my daycare provider get the same results that I do at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that is tough because at daycare she is competing with 12 other kids for the attention of the care giver so she is more apt to act up any way. Let them continue to handle it how they see fit and you continue to reinforce that it is not acceptable with words. If you see another child stick their tongue out then point it out as 'that's not very nice is it. We don;t do that do we?'. Communication is key.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• What kind of training does your provider have in child development?

Why is she sticking her tounge out?

If accidents are a problem suggest that she take LO to the bathroom 20 min. after she eats or drinks or frequently through out the day. It sounds to me like LO may not have the language to communicate her needs, which would account for the tounge and the accidents...is that a possibility? Often children are required to use less language at home because mom's are tuned to thier child's habits and needs.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• this made me chuckle a bit. brought back a memory. niece is 7 now and she went through a stage like that when she was about 3. I don't think anyone has a picture of that kid during this time that doesn't have her tounge sticking out!

she started doing it with me, but was smart enough to be a angel around mom and dad (for a while)
    then one day when we were supposed to meet at a water slide, my cell phone rang. The whole line was laughing or trying not to laugh and I explained to my husband that there had been a 'tongue incident!' Niece stuck her tongue out at a woman at the store.
    She started having accidents at day care too. not exactly accidents, she'd do it when she was mad on purpose.
    maybe your little girl gets so busy having fun there that she forgets, or maybe is embarrassed to say that she has to go. I was when I was little.
    if nothing else, it will pass. we all miss those days.
    Anonymous

• Is she a professional daycare provider? If so,How has she handled in in the past (with others)? If she is experienced she knows it happens all the time with children that age. She should already know how to handle it. If she is just someone who is babysitting and has no experience then she needs to just tell the child "that's not nice" (sticking out her tongue) and don't give her more attention regarding it. Little ones continue if they get attention for it. There are a couple of reasons for the accidents. First, is the provider taking her to the potty regularly? If the provider is noticing a particular time she's having an accident then she should schedule a potty break before that time like before playtime or before naptime. Is there tension in the environment? (something scaring or upsetting dd?) There could be a number of things but talk to dd and see if she can communicate what's up

Answer by admckenzie at 4:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2011