My mom says she does not have favorites when it comes to my girls but i say differently

when i told mom i was pregnant with oldest she was excited. when i got pregnant with youngest it was a rant of how could you do that , hubby was injured on the job and was working back in the office instead of his regular job and also on partial workmen's comp. and how could you to do that to your other daughter. WTH i wanted kids always have she always knew that. well, my oldest has medical issues and it seems my youngest does to. oldest was just tested for autism and youngest is getting ready to be checked for adhd and autism. oldest is adhd inattentive. if my oldest does anything she gets in trouble. but my mom will not raise her voice at her ( which is good cause it sets her off bad) but she will rant and rave at my youngest. You say you don't have a preference but i see it. I am hoping if we find out what is wrong with my youngest she will see it is not her acting out but a medical problem and will react the same with her.. She does tell them both she loves them, she tries to do the same for both when comes to gifts etc. but she was closer to my oldest even before my oldest was born. that baby would not kick unless my mom was talking to her in my belly, i always wondered if the doctors made a mistake because i did not feel pregnant at all lol. she was a easy pregnancy until labor started. heck when they put her in my arms i was shocked to. i think because i had wanted it for years and had not been able to. anyway, does anyone else have a mom who does this?

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• There's something always different about the first born....IMO
    Anonymous

• My mom favors my oldest DD too, always buying her stuff or taking her special places. its so annoying.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 4:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My mom did. I had my dd when I had just turned 18 and my mom wasnt all that thrilled about it but she accepted her and loved her. I got preg with my second (planned) and she was all excited. He was a boy and she came down and helped me. He had colic and I guess she bonded with him. I got preg with my 3rd (unplanned 5 mths later) and she actually suggested an abortion. I was appalled. Well since then I had two more kids, a total of 5. She likes my 2nd (oldest son) most and always has. She would come get him from me when he got in trouble. She would make excuses for him blah blah. Well my oldest is always in trouble, bipolar refusing meds, is an adult, and all that. Now the baby she suggested I abort is 17 (with Autism but high functioning) and gets great grades, going to prom , works and is never in any trouble. Now all of a sudden shes into him. It drives me insane really. Oh and my 10 yr old lives with his dad (cont)

Answer by gemgem at 4:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My mom always had favorites, as well as my mother-in-law....(and so does my husband)
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My oldest DD has 3 boys,ages 16, 12, and 5. The middle one Zach has such a out going personality and is so, lovable that she and I secretly said he's our favorite. Of, course she and I love the other two to death, too. But, Zach just, hold a special place in our hearts.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 4:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• And since he lives with his dad right now she doesnt even want to see him. She will purposely plan weekends to visit when he wont be here. I finally asked her what her problem was and she says it isnt on purpose. Well its been 4 yrs and not one weekend she can come down when he is here? Really? And she loves my baby girl whose 6, BUT only because she looks like her and my dad likes her. I just basically try and keep my distance from my mom. She really gets on my nerves.
    I am a grandma myself now, and I dont have a fav. I am closer to my grand daughter but thats because my grandson always wants his dad and isnt a touchy feely kid. He doesnt like spending the night or any of that. We have tried. But my granddaughter is always hugging me, staying with me and all that.

Answer by gemgem at 4:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My MIL prefers her two granddaughters over her 5 grandsons. It is very obvious. She also favors her daughters over her sons.

Anonymous

• anonymous yeah my mil is like that with her youngest son and he has boys but our girls she could care less she even suggested hubby leave me take the kids and give them away to others. i guess maybe my mom did not bond well with my youngest. i mean i was the only one who was with her when she was little and mom took care of the oldest when my husband almost died. but the youngest screamed and cried all the time so i would not leave her with anyone.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2011