Heating options.....

My family and I are getting ready to move to a much colder climate. We are looking at house with many different types of heat. Natural gas, propane, baseboard heaters, forced air and the list goes on and on. So what is the best heating option? What is the cheapest? Any info at all would be great! Is there one type to steer clear of?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 4:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It depends whereabouts you are going as heating costs vary by location, energy source and what you will be living in . I live on the Atlantic coast of Canada , we have all-electric and it is the cheapest option, most electricity here is generated from renewables . We live in an older, well- constructed house which also makes a difference. I expect in Alberta , oil or natural gas may be cheaper but I don't know . Colder climates need less or even no air conditioning in summer, so you will save there. i would steer clear of propane as it is expensive , at least here .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i personally dont like propane or gas heat
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 4:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have all electric and my bill runs fairly cheap.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Cheapest is wood stove or fireplace. We had baseboard at our last house and it was fairly cheap.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011