How young is to young to chew gum?

I have 2 friends who let their 2 yr old chew gum!!

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• i have a 4 yr old and i dont let her. I think its bad for her teeth and i'm afraid she will get it in her hair
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 4:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Our 3 year old chews sugarless and when he's done he will throw it away each time. No biggie.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Id say test it... Every child is different... My oldest has know how to chew gum since he was 3 and my soon to be 4 year old can't grasp the concept of do not swallow the gum after it gets soft.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i have on occation let my 4yo chew it but my rule is if it gets in the hair or if you cant keep it in your mouth (ie playing with it) then it goes in the garbage. but i have found it in her hair twice so no gum for a while. its not too hard to get it out of her hair but its the point.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• as long as they dont swallow its ok, my 1yo daughter (now 3) was aloud but my son is to and just now allowed
    mamaslove4ever

Answer by mamaslove4ever at 5:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My youngest dd has been chewing gum since she was about 2 1/2. At the time my older kids were like 6, 7 and 8 and we didn't even trust them with gum because they played with it. She would just chomp away on it and when she was bored she'd give it to my husband, lol (I don't chew gum because my jaw is messed up). My other kids we made wait until they were like 4 or 5. They are 10, 9 and 8 and I still don't like them chewing it because they are irresponsible.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011