if your son or daughter pulled a prank on you,and they told you they did it just to see how much you cared for them, how would you handle that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• What was the prank? That would depend on how it was handled. I pull pranks on my mom all the time in fun.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• i would be concerned that my daughter didnt know how much i really do care for her. i hope that she knows by my everyday actions that i love her and would do anything for her. this may be a wake up call that you need to pay a little more attention to your child so that they arent questioning you.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the prank they pulled. Are we talking grown adults? That's very immature for an adult to pull a prank on their parent to see if they cared or not. Something else is going on here.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• How sad that the child no matter the age, feels the need to test a parent to see how much they care for the child. Since I have never had a child doubt how much I cared for him/her I am not sure how I'd handle it other than to say I'm sorry I led you to feel the need to do this.....and if you do it again then I will REALLY show you how much I care (LOL)

Answer by admckenzie at 5:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• It is a little immature for an adult to pull a prank, and then to say they did it to see how much you cared. No. People prank other people so they can fell better about themselves, and have a laugh at another persons expense. The "do you care about me" shit is just that... shit.
    Anonymous

• Id wait until all is forgotten (months later)& then id return the prank on her,( to see how much she cared, would be my explanation, word for word as to what she said) then id say..."see how wrong that is.it doesnt feel so good to wear the shoe, so to speak on the other foot."Id be mad & hurt. it doesnt matter what the prank is/was. Its the old story of the boy who cried wolf. the little prankster is inconsiderate and obviously doesnt care that much about you. You cant spank them, ground them, so how do you teach them a lesson...by giving them a dose of their own medicine then reminding them of what they did. mad, yup you can count on them being mad! that when you drive home the seriousness of their stupidity. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• my teen age (17) yr old son decided that he'd stay gone all weekend. No reason, no phone call, nothing...just gone. Scared to death, i was. I didnt know what to do. Panic, called friends, police, cry, pray, throw up, nervous breakdown, ect. That was the longest two days of my life. He walks in on Sunday afternoon, happy like nothing ever happened. He couldnt understand why i was so upset. he said, "well, i didnt think you'd care" WHAT!! (that was an excuss, trying to put his bad behavior into perspective for himself). So I waited a couple months, planed a during the week get away. I stayed across the street @ the neighbors house for 2 days, without a word to him! Oh yes lets say it was a lesson well learned.
    Anonymous

• I pulled a prank on my father a few years ago for April Fools Day. It wasn't meant to see how much he cared about me, but I found out! lol. He just retired as a police officer and I had my coworker call and tell him I had been arrested for having a fist fight in the work parking lot and how I would probably appreciate being bailed out of jail. Keep in mind the worst trouble I've ever been in is a speeding ticket for 5 over. He didn't even bat an eye and said "She can wait til after golf". lol. Not only did he believe I got in a fist fight at work without questioning it at all, but he was going to leave me in the joint!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• He could be seeing which buttons he could push now. He's 17, close to 18, when he will be legally able to do MANY things on his own. He's probably just seeing how far he can get with you now.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• If my kids ever pulled a prank like that on me I would kill them.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2008