What to do?

Ok my 4.5 year old son is running a fever. between 103.3 and 104.9. hes not acting any different. running around normally. not lethargic. i have given him meds to reduce the fever and put him in a cool bath. just worried. my dr is away and the dr covering hasnt called me back since i called last night. nurse at dr office said as long as he is behaving normally dont worry. HELP IM PANICING

hotmamaof297062

Asked by hotmamaof297062 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can take him to a walk-in clinic to have him checked immediately. If that would make you feel better than waiting, do it.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• dont panic,he'll be ok :)
    You can always take him in to a urgent care and have him checked if youre very concerned.
    I would try to call the dr. office again first.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes, I agree with the above. he is definately sick with something.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You can also put cold cloths behind his neck, on his forehead, behind his elbows, behind his knees, and on his feet. This will get it down pretty fast as well. The nurses I worked with in hospice used this all the time and it would bring a fever down faster than medicine. Of course they got medicine too - but the two things together work very well. If my son had a fever of 104 I would try urgent care but I would not hesitate to go to the ER either if urgent care was not available. If it lingered at 104 and I couldn't bring it down....I'm not comfortable with that. Many children get high fevers and it will be okay. But I fully admit it freaks me out. Usually not with other kids, but when it comes to my son I get irrational.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i agree with frogdawn. using motrin and tylenol both helps along with the cool cloths helps. you give meds at same time then alternate tylenol every 4 and the motrin every six really helps get it down and stay down.
    MomaWeeks

Answer by MomaWeeks at 10:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Last June my 3 yr old son had a fever of 104.5 and ER kept him over night and they never figured out what was wrong with him. Some said it might have been his teeth comin in but I couldn't see how he could get that high of a fever from teething.
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 11:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I found that Childrens Advil worked much better than Tylenol to reduce fever. My daughter was feeling lousy with a high fever & the dr. said to give her Childrens Advil & 20 mins. later she was up running around like a new child! Even if he is acting normal you still want to reduce the fever. good luck!
    deniselvt

Answer by deniselvt at 4:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2011