What's with the excuses?

My dd is 4 and every time I ask her to do something she makes up an excuse. "My knees hurt," "I don't feel good," "I'm dizzy."
WHAT THE HECK? Anyone have this going on?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 5:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son tries to get out of things by "I"m hot, I'm too cold" I didn't realize this actually until my provider told me he does this to get out of activities.. I just thought he was high maintenance like daddy..lol!~
    But, I know when my son complains about his knees hurting and the i don't feel good, its typically been from growing pains.. the knees are the worst for him!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Mine does the same thing except her excuses are "No, I gotta go potty", "I'm hungry", I'm thirsty", or "No, I'm tired and wanna go sleep"
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• yup right on track! This is the age when they realize that adults don't have to do certain things when they "don't feel good" so why should they? They are now able to copy adult behavior. My hubby had it thrown in his face how often he is "busy right now" when our 4 year old said "not right now daddy I am too busy."
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 5:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Children master lying by 5 yrs old. Your child is right on track and is just practicing lol.

Answer by gemgem at 5:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my 8 year old uses the i am tired routine when it comes to helping sister clean their room and the one who makes the most mess is her
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You have a normal healthy child! Congrats! Your daughter has watched and learned how to avoid situations and is exercising some independence. A child her age should be trying to exercise some authority over their person. They are trying the best way they know how. No worries. She watches, listens, learns, and finds an outlet to exercise her control. It sometimes isn't what our children say but how we respond to it. I usually respond by saying, "I know you are tired right now and don't feel like picking up your toys. You may pick up your toys now or can rest for a few minutes and when the timer goes off in five minutes pick up your toys." Giving a choice of two things that are acceptable to me and letting him know I hear what he is saying. While I have never had an issue with him not picking one of the two choices, I am prepared with my back up. Which is if you can't choose I will choose to pick them up and put them

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• up on the shelf for a vist in time out. So far so good.
    frogdawg

• My daughter is almost four all of a sudden when she is asked to do anything the answer is 'i just don't know how'. And that is for anything, from picking up her toys to getting her shoes on. So I've just started doing it back. She wants to go out and play but her toys are not picked up... I just don't know how. Believe me, she's 'learning how' a lot quicker. haha. A neighbor gave me that advice and it seems to be working... for now. Good luck
    jessmathews82

Answer by jessmathews82 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i hear you i was begining to think my dd was listening to my parents complain to much. my new fav is i can'i my back hurts. your 4 how could it possibly hurt.
    MomaWeeks

Answer by MomaWeeks at 10:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I typically got he couldn't walk because his toes hurt. I've worked in the field of early childhood/special education since I was like 12, volunteering/shadowing/actually teaching. The inability to walk due to toes hurting was a new one to me lol. I just always threw it back at him. He'd ask for a cup for some milk and I'd say I'm sorry, I can't walk, my toes hurt. He'd get slightly frustrated and I'd say well now you know how mommy feels when I ask you to do something. And then I'd say I'm more then willing to get you a cup if you ______________. He'd usually accomplish my request then.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011