*completely* raw diet for kids?

my nieces mother has put my 6 year old niece on a completely raw diet because the ped said she needed to loose 5-10 pounds. She decided to put her on a raw diet, including raw meats and eggs. Is this really healthy for a child? I know their is a such thing as sushi grade fish (we eat it often) and tar tar grade beef but she is also giving her raw chicken and eggs and unpasteurized milk and cheeses. It just seems a bit much for such a small body's immune system...

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Raw meats and eggs (unless pasteurized) are not safe.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• She's actually eating that?? poor kid
    I'm not seeing how not cooking it will make her lose weight...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I agree with butterflyblue19. If it were a raw diet that excluded meat, eggs, and dairy... that *might* work. But as is I think it's a bit gross.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I saw that diet on an episode of wife swap and almost puked (but I was prego then) any who...I dont see how that would work, other than putting the little girl off food enough to make her quit eating and viola lose weight!! but..umm...ew, Is she eating it too!? The thought of it makes me ill....If your niece isnt getting sick though, I dont see her mama changing her mind about it!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have no idea if she is eating it or not. She, like my kids has been eating sushi since she was one but since they are in Cali and I am in Ga. I am getting this all from my DH who hears it from his mom. I wouldn't even give my kids sushi ALL the time. It's like every so often.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I know it's not common nowadays because of unsafe handling practices but I grew up on raw milk (we milked the cows ourselves) and raw eggs. Pasteurization may keep the germs away but it also changes the nutritional value of food (and not for the better). Not sure I would do raw meat.
    Anonymous

• fresh form the cow is one thing. from the cow to the feed/specialty store is another to me. Seems like you have given it ample opportunity to 'grow' stuff.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• raw chicken and eggs? is she cooking the eggs and chicken?i would be so concerned about the milk and cheese but chicken and eggs uncooked? i cant see how the child would even eat those much less to think of ecoli and other bacteria. to me it would be just a matter of time before she got sick.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Diets are not healthy for anyone

Answer by rkoloms at 9:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2011