18 month old with chronic cough, please help!

Took him to the doc yesterday, said we need to keep him on the breathing machine, but that takes awhile before it actually suppresses his cough, no cough medicines have worked with him, i have been told to give him tea with lemon and honey...im not sure if he can have tea though.

Any suggestions to help my boy sleep better and feel better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 22 month old is going through this right now too. He's got double ear infections in both ears too. What I do is I slather Vick's BabyRub on the soles of his feet and his chest and put him a warm footed pj. I take him into the bathroom and run the shower as hot as it can get and just sit there and let him breathe in the steam. I also have a humidifier in his room that runs all night. I have given him a little bit of tea with honey in it at a luke-warm temp. He's still coughing, but with the moisture in his room, it's at least a wet cough and it's productive. Good luck! I hate this time of year simply b/c my boys get sick so often!

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 9:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Take him into the bathroom, run the shower for steam and read stories. The steam helps with the cough... You can also try the Vics Vapo Bath if there's any congestion. I'd also suggest the Vics rub or wall plug in to help sooth his airways. Also use a humidifier at night. We have ALOT of experience in this department, so I hope it helps.... oh - the tea should be fine, but he may not want it. If there's congestion associated with this cough (and it's not just problems w/ reactive airways) then you can cup your hands and clap his back and chest to help manually loosen the secretions. Like I said - hope it helps!
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 9:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Get him into a pulmonary specialist as soon as possible. My son's asthma wasn't under control until we started seeing one.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• What about the caffeine in tea? Should i just get decaf? And hes not really congested, hes got the runny nose, and the cough does sound really dry, like its deep in his lungs, this has been going on for so long i just want to help my baby! Im in tears because it seems like every minute hes coughing, it kills me :( :(

jms124 does that sound like asthma to you? Was your son the same way?
    Thanks for your help i still have a million questions though lol.
    Anonymous

• chronic coughs are most usually a sign of something else.. my sd had one forever and ever and then I finally took her to pulmonologist like jm stated and found she had asthma, for many kids that cough in the night and early morning it may also be allergies.
    rsgomezii

Answer by rsgomezii at 11:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2008