how do you moms cope with colic?

my dd is almost 6 weeks old and i dont know how much more i can take of this. i have tryed gas drops and gripe water the doctor has even changed her formula twice once to soy and now she is on nutramigen. nothing seems to help. i cant get her to stop screaming car rides and her swing dont work in fact i think they make her more upset. my arms are about to break from holding her all day long she is 12 lbs already yes its not much to tote around for a few hours but after all day it starts to hurt. if any one has any other tricks please let me know

J_L_Fshr

Asked by J_L_Fshr at 8:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A few things, first, get a baby carrier of some kind, a sling, a front pack, a pouch, SOMETHING. It will save your arms. Do you swaddle? Do you swaddle TIGHTLY?

Buy The Happiest Baby On the Block by Harvey Karp, it literally saved me. My son still screamed, but the book helped me find ways to keep it to the lowest point possible.

Learn to swaddle, TIGHTLY. I use to use a very stretchy microfiber blanket, and wrapped him so tight my mother in law accused me of trying to smother him. It put pressure on his tummy, and helped keep him soothed.

When he starts screaming (if he's like mine was, there was no "start" he just screams all the time) swaddle him or put him in the front carrier, and vaccuum the room. The sound is loud and for some reason soothing to babies.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I broke a small candy cane in half and put it in a bottle of warm water (slightly warmer than luke warm), ahook it up until the candy cane dissolved, and gave it to my son. Just a four ounce bottle of water. Worked like a charm. When he was a baby we didn't have gas drops so I had to use something else.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 9:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• sounds like mom needs a break can g-ma take baby for the night .....I remember how hard it was do you use warm bottles that will help a lil ...i know its hard mom but it will get better hugs

Anonymous

• AuntieM...yes I did that to great idea
    Anonymous

• well, my first son was diagnosed Colic.... my 3rd child (8 years later) was diagnosed Acid Reflux. They had the exact same symptoms! my daughter used acid reflux meds for a few months until she started to grow out of it.

I'd suggest getting the doc's opinion on Acid Reflux as a diagnosis over the colic.

IMO after my experiences, Docs diagnose Colic as a "I give up, I don't know what's wrong, lets say Colic" type diagnosis.
    Anonymous

• My son is also on nutramigen and it worked well for him. but prior to that I ran the vaccume cleaner the noise soothed him instantly. or static from the radio. Hang in there it will get better.
    toobusyw3

Answer by toobusyw3 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Continued -
    Most importantly, you need to get away at some point to regroup. Whether that's a bath every night or just 1/2 locked in your room (yes, I'd lock myself in my room and leave my husband to the children) to read something NOT BABY RELATED, do it. You need time away from the screaming to help you calm down yourself.

Also, I want to stress to you, please do NOT take it personally that he has colic. It's so easy as a new mom to blame yourself for every little thing that goes wrong, and if you're like I was, he might as well be screaming "I HATE YOU" when he screams, that's what it felt like he was saying. The truth was, he just needed special attention. My prayers are with you. It will end. he wont scream forever.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I second the recommendation for a baby carrier of some sort. I recommend a moby wrap. It is very comfortable on your back and shoulders. Put the baby in there and walk her around. When you are sick of walking, bounce on an exercise ball. That always put my son to sleep and you can watch tv while you do it and get some exercise!

Another recommendation, hopefully I dont get yelled at for this lol. Have you tried nursing her? She is only 6 weeks so she would probably still take to it. You may not have much milk right now but she would still get the comfort from it. If you could relactate, breastmilk is much easier on a babies belly than formula. Just an idea. Take it or leave it.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Oh I am so sorry.
    First - go find her 16 week birthday on your calendar. Put a big red circle around it. The colic will be gone by then. I know it looks a LONG way off (oh how I know!) but it does help to see that day getting closer.
    Next - do NOT hesitate to put her in her crib and let her cry. If you are overwhelmed and at your wit's end, that is far better than going over that edge and hurting her. Yes, abuse is much more common in colic babies.
    Also, keep an eye on yourself. Post Partum Depression is more common in moms of colic babies. Do not hesitate to get help.
    -cont-
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• So, what practical tips do I have for the baby?
    Write a list of everything you can think of to try. Start at the top of the list and work your way down. If nothing works, start at the top again.
    Keep stimulation to a minimum. Take the mobil out of the crib, keep things fairly quiet and the lights a little low (or at least not bright), don't try to get her to play or entertain her with toys.
    Try white noise in her bedroom. I used the CD "For Crying Out Loud". Each "song" is 9 minutes long. My daughter liked the "Car engine with rain and wiper noises" track.
    Check out ColicShop.com for other ideas. You don't have to buy them there if you don't want to but they have just about every gimick and idea out there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2008